1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How To Send TuneIn Radio On Android Device To A/V Receiver?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by gil_happy, Mar 4, 2014.

1. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

Hello,

After searching and reading forums, I'm trying to figure out how to stream / send the audio from TuneIn Radio on my Android phone (Samsung Note 3 on T-Mobile) over WiFi in my home to my Yamaha A/V receiver (HTR-4065) that supports DLNA and AirPlay.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this, i.e. sending audio from a running application, in this case, TuneIn Radio via either DLNA or AirPlay? The reason I'm trying to do this is that the built Internet Radio (using vTuner) on the Yamaha receiver does not have some of my favorite radio stations, but TuneIn does.

Thanks in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

I can't vouch for any of them, but there are dozens of apps that provide Airplay or DLNA functionality. Search the Play Store for "Airplay" or "DLNA".

I'm sure you want to take advantage of the built-in Airplay/DNLA functionality of your receiver but one of the most convenient solutions is simply to add a Bluetooth receiver dongle to your stereo system. They're only ~$10 - $17, depending on whether you need the USB charger and audio cables. Works great. Sounds good. Very portable in case you want to take it with you to wear it, or take it to a vacation house stereo, hotel stereo, etc.

[​IMG]Bluetooth A2DP 3 5mm Stereo Audio Receiver Dongle Adapter for PC Speaker Phones | eBay

[​IMG]Wireless Bluetooth A2DP 3 5mm Stereo HiFi Audio Dongle Adapter Receiver T9 | eBay

If you want to send a digital (SPDIF) coaxial or Toslink/optical signal into your receiver (for higher fidelity) there are bigger, more expensive ($35) Bluetooth receivers like this...
    [​IMG]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-4-0-Music-APT-X-Audio-Stereo-Wireless-Receiver-for-iphone-mp3-hk-/400667645582?pt=US_USB_Bluetooth_Adapters_Dongles&hash=item5d49a7168e

Bluetooth is just so easy and has so little lag. It should be built-into all new receivers.

3. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

Thanks so much for sending over those links... I previously had a Logitech Bluetooth dongle / adapter that worked well, but then my phone must be nearby the receiver, etc and since I have outdoor speakers, I want my phone with me.

So far it looks like AirAudio or AirStream will do the trick, but I will need to root my phone. It looks like AirAudio works without rooting it, but uses the microphone from the phone to receive the audio playing on your device and feeds it to the receiver - if rooted, it takes the raw audio from the device and sends it to the receiver.

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast

Unfortunately you are not going to find a solution that does not require root for the scenario as presented, primarily because of copyright/licensing/Fair Use restrictions.

The root apps can hook the raw audio as you already stated, any apps that stream DNLA only do so from approved apps or content you store locally thereby assuming you have fair use rights to stream that content like videos and music.

You can brush up on rooting here, with a video - How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 – XDA Developer TV – xda-developers

The original thread - [SM-N900*] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

Pay special attention to the multitouch issue at the top of the original thread.

5. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

I have 2 houses (one is a single story, and one is a 2-story). In both houses I can stream music to the cheap Bluetooth receiver (in the Ebay auction links above) from my phone to my stereo (through multiple walls) from every room in the house and from the patio or back yard. Maybe I'm just "fortunate" to have small enough houses. :-( But in both cases the stereo is located on one end of the house (not centrally located). Maybe your house's layout is less conducive or maybe your old Logitech device was weak. You probably already thought of this, but you may want to consider moving the Bluetooth receiver to a location (e.g. on top of your stereo armoire) such that the radio waves have an easier path (without passing through metal or cabinet doors, or at oblique angles through walls to your patio. Good luck!

mikedt likes this.
  6. gil_happy

gil_happy Newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions... I was able to successfully root my phone and AirAudio or AirStream work like a charm for my initial question / problem!