• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to set up the MoPho with your own ringtones (as well as for future Android phones)...

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
Since there are quite a few people new to Android, I figured I'd start a thread that gives you a step-by-step on how to set your MoPho up for this phone and all future Android phones you might have.

NOTE: It's much, much better if you do this using an external microUSB card because the folder can transfer over to whatever new Android phone you get after the MoPho.

1) Attach phone to computer using microUSB>USB connector
2) (On The Phone) Select phone to be viewable as USB drive, from the drop down notification bar.
3) (On the CPU) Open File Explorer/My Computer
4) (On the CPU) Go to USB Drive (e.g. phone drive, external USB recommended, but not necessarily required, as the internal storage drive will be recognized as well)
5) (On the CPU) Create 1 main folder w/ 2 sub-folders w/ the following names
- media
- (subfolder under media) ringtones
- (subfolder under media) notifications
* Once you have created the folders, that setup can be used for any future Android phone you decide to upgrade to, so you can transfer files (mp3's) into those folders at will. If you can't get in front of a computer, but you want to save a mp3 for use as a ringtone (from your phone), I suggest downloading Astro File Manager
Astro File Manager - Market
This app will let you explore your SD card. You can also create new folders/directories from your phone, as well as transfer files using Astro Manager.
6) (From the CPU) Copy and Paste or Drag and Drop whatever mp3's you want to use into the appropriate folder located on either the internal or external sd card (e.g. Ringtones or Notifications), depending on where you created the folders.
7) Once those have transfered, pull your phone off the USB connector
8) Go to your sound settings and the ringtone name should show up on the phone (either ringtone or notification).

I like using Ringdroid to make ring tones out of MP3 files. Very easy to use and you can set it to any portion of the song you want.

Ringdroid is great for making custom ringtones. My main purpose of creating the thread was for people to know how to set up folders so that it could translate to any future android phones they have.

This folder setup ensures that any android phone someone gets in the future will automatically detect any ringtones and notification sounds they've made for their past phones.

Upvote 0
i can find my ringtones that i placed in the sd card, tried mp3, ogg

sd card folder notifications and ringtones

is there a possibility that i cant change email ringtone to custon on the photon?

thanks in advance

Do you mean to say that' you can't find the ringtones? Sometimes, when the name of the ringtone is too long, it doesn't show up.

Also, if you're planning on using a ringtone for "alert" (e.g. email ringtone), you have to put it in the notifications folder in order for it to be identified for notifications. The "ringtone" folder usually shows up for phone ring only, from what I remember.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones