1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to share internet from PC to SGS2 via usb

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nohackmove, Aug 1, 2011.

1. nohackmove

nohackmove Lurker
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    hi i want to use my computer's internet on my phone by using usb connection.
    is that possible?
    i found opposite of it by the tethering option. it share phone internet to PC.
    can i share PC internet to phone?

also there is another question on my mind about Kies Application. i downloaded the 2.0.1 version of Kies from samsung web site. but it is trying to connect to my phone when i plugged it in. it tries that but not connecting.

Advertisement

2. kebark

kebark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2011
    I've not got an answer...but out of interest...why would you want to do this? There might be a work around or something.

3. chintohere

chintohere Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2011
    Have the same problem. my use case is

e.g. When I'm at work and wouldn't like to use 3G for big downloads.

Seems like can be done with the previous version of galaxy s/android.

Samsung Galaxy S - Using PC to connect to internet?

4. cam0063

cam0063 Lurker
    None

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi,

I am new to the forum and very keen to find out how this is done also. I have been searching high and low on how to access my pc net connection via usb with my phone. So far have drawn a blank! I have no mobile phone signal at home and would like to access the PC net connection using my phone for updates etc. Is there a way??? It was a piece of cake to do with my HTC HD2, so I am assuming it must be possible with the S2... cheers

5. meggmogg

meggmogg Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Hey, i tried hunting down a way to do this for ages as my wireless doesnt work on my laptop so couldnt connect via wifi and couldnt come up with anything all i could get is a programme called virtual router, and now i never use my 3g is so much easier to use virtual router. Dunno if you have the same problems or not but if so virtual router should help. :D

6. umadbro

umadbro Member
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    If you have a wireless router then on your phone go to settings then Wireless and network. then clikc Wifi settings. then click turn on wifi. then click menu button and click scan. select whihc one is your router (most likely the one with strongest signal) then connect to it. if it asks for WEP password then look at bottom of your router and it should say WEP password. kthnx bye

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i think its pretty obvious that the original post was referring to situations when wifi is not available :)

8. Ih4teKies

Ih4teKies Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    Student
    London, United Kingdom

You need the phone on Kies mode

It will say

MTP Application

[usb cable picture]

Connected
    Press the home key to quit Samsung Kies

9. mvmsk

mvmsk Well-Known Member
    None

May 20, 2011
    India
    best option is download the "mhotspot" (portable-no need to install it) and start the hotspot on your laptop

10. JRokit

JRokit Newbie
    None

Sep 2, 2011
    I have a similar issue. Where I work there is no phone service at all. I work inside a big metal and concrete building in the "basement". I sit at a computer with internet service. No wifi there. What are my options? 8-16 hrs without my phone is a real pain!

11. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 2, 2011
    Female
    homemaker
    England
    I too have this issue. Although I have wireless broadband on my PC at home, my Galaxy S2 will simply NOT connect. I turn on WiFi and follow all the instructions. The phone finds the correct connection, but then it says: Connecting - connected - disconnected, over and over. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It asks for a password and I've tried both my WEP and password, with no joy. I've successfully connected my laptop and Kindle to my wireless broadband, so don't think there's anything wrong with the connection.

Surely there IS a way to connect my phone to my PC to use the Internet. Hope someone will enlighten us.

12. ochazz

ochazz Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    hello, I just joined the forum and I wanna know is there any solution for this problem yet...

13. tonicboy

tonicboy Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
  14. boscharun

boscharun Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Two options -
    1. Use a hardware wireless router.
    2. Use your computer as a router. There are two ways for doing this.

15. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    Tried the virtual router before. I never could get it to work. But then, I was just testing it and not really a big issue. Since I couldn't get it to work, didn't really bothered with it after. It might be simply user error and I didn't do it right.

Cheers

16. boscharun

boscharun Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    Hi Russel, I have been using virtual router for quite some time and it works great for me. One possibility is that your network card is a bit old that it is not supported. There is a list of supported and not-supported devices here -
    Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 7 / 2008 R2

Cheers,
    Arun

17. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    Male
    Ayrshire, scotland
    is there an app that you can download on your phone to allow access to tje internet over the pc without having to download anything directly onto the pc.

i work for a local council in a sports centre which at weekends is very quiet at times. id love to stream the rugby live on my phone but cant on 3g(would use my limit anyway) and the councils network blocks access to these kind of sites... it also tracks what sites we use etc.

is there a work around for this? cant remember what windows the laptop is using but i dont think it is 7....

18. Russell Ng

Russell Ng Android Expert
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Male
    Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur
    There are ways. But its not right to ask forum for advise to bypass network restrictions at your place I think. There are probably rules that doesn't allow it here.

Cheers

19. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert
    None

Jan 20, 2012
    Male
    Ayrshire, scotland
    lol... no problem... thought id ask in the off chance that there was an easy optiin for doing this.... suppose ill just need to figure out some other way/ just record and watch. it later! lol

thabks anyway.

20. Sphinxerafg

Sphinxerafg Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2012
    well, for right now, I could use it. i have my motorola photon 4g over at my buddies house with my computer, and my new asus transformer prime. however, i do not want to pay the 30$ rip off for sharing hot spot, and there is no wifi here.. but there is an internet cable.. if i could route the net through my computer to my phone and use the hotspot without the use of my data plan. that would be incredible. sucks having a 500$ tablet when u cannot do really anything with it without net

21. ChanderS

ChanderS Lurker
    None

May 20, 2012
    I too would like to know how I could use my computer's internet connection in my phone through an USB connection, WITHOUT WI-FI.

Actually, I used to use Wi-Fi through Virtual Router on my computer. Yes, Virtual Router actually worked on my system until a few days ago. Now it just gives the message "Virtual Router could not be started".

For some reason, some of my network drivers got corrupted and seemingly disappeared from my computer system a few days ago. There are supposed to be two wireless network connections in the system: Network Connection 1, and Network Connection 2. Network Connection 2 is the one that allows turning your computer into a Wi-Fi hotspot which you can use for your phone, etc. But, in my system, Network Connection 2 just disappeared a few days ago. I've tried to get it back but without success. I believe it would require something called MS virtual WiFi miniport adapter: that's what my online searches seem to indicate. Does anybody have any idea where this can be found?

Until that happens, I would like to be able to use my computer's internet on my phone through USB connection if at all that were possible. Any solutions?

22. ChanderS

ChanderS Lurker
    None

May 20, 2012
    To add to my previous post:

What I'm looking for is "reverse tethering" my Android phone to my computer through an USB connection. (This is the opposite of "tethering").

I found that there are a number of reverse tethering options for rooted Android phones. However, my Android phone is not rooted.

So, how can I access my computer's internet on my unrooted Android phone through an USB connection? (obviously, without Wi-Fi).

23. boscharun

boscharun Newbie
    None

Sep 18, 2011
    On Play store, there is a reverse tethering app called "USB Tunnel" -
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=service.tracetool
    But this one is bit complicated and is not straight forward.

If you are not too concerned play-store-only apps, you can use this tool -
    PC internet sharing tool for android (USB).
    YOU NEED A ROOTED PHONE FOR THIS. But other than that, using the tool is a breeze. Open it, click connect and you have internet in your android phone via USB. I use this for my day-to-day work and it works like a charm :)