1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to shut off the start up "Droid"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redsox985, Aug 25, 2011.

1. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Is there any way to shut off the awful "DDDDROID" sound during start up? I'd love to get rid of this so that restarts don't involve trying to muffle the phone. I'm rooted (what a great day to get the phone!) and just want to get rid of this noise.

Advertisement

2. spunker88

spunker88 Member
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Watertown, NY
    Now that you are rooted you could delete /system/media/Droid.ogg. You will need something like Root Explorer to access that folder and I would recommend renaming it Droid.bak just in case something goes wrong, but its an audio file so I don't think it will cause any harm.

I really want to do this as well once rooted, its so annoying that this phone still plays that even when I'm in vibrate mode. Even my old feature phone knew not to play it's start up sound when it was in vibrate mode.

redsox985 likes this.
  3. redsox985

redsox985 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2011
    Thanks a lot! Switched it to .bak and now it fires up silently. I don't know how I got it to stop on my old X, maybe it was vibrate mode... IDK! but this was really annoying. Plus I don't want it to randomly reboot in my pocket in school and make noise, because I'm then in a pile of trouble for doing nothing. :eek:

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    With my OG Droid, specifying a default ringtone and notification tone that were on the SD card (which I did for other reasons) stopped the ridiculous sound at startup. I assumed that doing so had this effect because the default sound was no longer accessible when the sound would be made.

Ricochet likes this.