• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How To Silence Interrupting Notifications?

davidpgriff

Lurker
Jun 24, 2018
I'm looking for a way to silence notifications that sound off during playback of media such as music or videos. I don't want to put my phone in Vibrate Only mode, or Do Not Disturb mode, because I still want to hear important things like an incoming phone call ringtone.

Example: I'm playing music / watching a Youtube video and I get an email, or message, or any other kind of notification, and the music / video audio will dip in volume so the notification can be heard. Then playback resumes.

I really hope I am wrong, but I don't think this can be suppressed without installing a third-party app. I'm very surprised Android allows media playback to be interrupted like I've explained, or at least not give an option to silence the interruptions. I'm on Android 10, so maybe the newer versions can do it?

You can set your Do Not Disturb up so that calls can get through but app notifications can't. Or at least I've been able to do that for several years, I don't know what phone you have.
This sounds like the best approach so far. Can I ask though, will this stop all notification sounds from now on? I only want to stop them during media playback. Here's why... My phone is my main music player. When I'm driving it's plugged into my car and plays music through Android Auto. Then at work I'm playing music with headphones on. Often at home I'll play music through a bluetooth speaker. Each one of these will have the playback interrupted by a notification sound unless it's in vibrate or silent mode. But then I miss phone calls. I know I probably sound like I'm being fusy, but I can't be the only one who doesn't want their music or video playback interrupted.

Upvote 0
It should stop all notification sounds while you are in Do Not Disturb mode, which means of course that if you forget to turn it off those notification will remain silenced (and equally you have to remember to turn it on).

One workaround might be to use an automation app like Tasker or MacroDroid to change the DND state while your media player(s) are active. May take a little experimentation to get it quite right though.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It should stop all notification sounds while you are in Do Not Disturb mode, which means of course that if you forget to turn it off those notification will remain silenced (and equally you have to remember to turn it on).

One workaround might be to use an automation app like Tasker or MacroDroid to change the DND state while your media player(s) are active. May take a little experimentation to get it quite right though.
Thanks, yes, I think you are right. I've dabbled with Tasker and MacroDroid before (and PhoneWeaver). Might give them a whirl again.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ok, but won't that mean I'll never get those notifications sounding off now? Maybe I should have been clearer, but I want to stop the notifications from interrupting media playing, not stop notifications sounding off entirely. Does that make sense?
I have no idea how to help you do that. me I disable them totally and i check the app when I have mood. not the app to check me when she have mood.lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones