• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

Whyzor

Android Expert
Jul 7, 2011
This is a simplified guide for those new to rooting & flashing a custom ROM on the Optimus V. No need to type complex commands that are hard to follow and prone to mistakes. Basically there are 3 main steps: Root, Install custom recovery, & flash custom ROM.

Windows Drivers for the Optimus V (Optional but suggested):
http://www.lg-phones.org/wp-content/uploads/LG-Optimus-V.zip

Rooting

Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights to the phone so one can do customizations that aren't normally allowed. Root by itself doesn't do anything cool, unless there's an app that needs it. The fancy stuff comes from custom ROMs. Just remember Virgin Mobile Activation only works on Froyo ROMs, so do it before going to Gingerbread. The easiest way to root nowadays is to use GingerBreak. It can be found here:

[26.04.2011][v1.2] GingerBreak APK (root for GingerBread) - xda-developers

Instruction Steps:

1. Turn on USB Debugging (Settings - Applications - Development)
2. Copy the GingerBreak.apk to a /sdcard dir, then using a 'file manager' app (search for one in Android Market) install it like a regular app.
3. It can take up to 10 minutes, and will reboot automatically when complete (rooted), if attempt fails, reboot manually & run it again.

Install custom recovery image

The recovery image is an alternative bootup instead of normal Android Operating System. It allows low-level operations such as backup/restore a ROM, wipe partitions, and flash ROMs.

4. Download and copy the recovery image VM670NH_recovery.img (works with new & old OV screens) onto your /sdcard.
5. Install the Flash Image GUI app (save the .apk to a /sdcard directory, then open it with file manager). Run the app & select 'Recovery Image' option with the file above.

Flash Custom ROM

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...wip-backside-rom-cm7-green-machine-theme.html

6. Copy the unextracted ROM .zip that you wish to install to the /sdcard dir. Also if installing a CyanogenMod Gingerbread ROM, the unextracted gapps.zip version 20110828, also needs to be placed in the same dir to flash right after the ROM .zip.
7. Boot into Clockworkmod recovery mode (From powered off state, hold vol-down, home, and power button until the LG logo appears).
8. FIRST, BACKUP ORIGINAL ROM! Don't continue until this is successful.
Use vol-up/down, camera, & back keys to navigate in recovery.
9. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, wipe cache partition. Under Advanced submenu, wipe dalvik-cache. Then uner Mounts & Storage submenu, format all partitions EXCEPT /sdcard.
10. Install the custom ROM.zip from sdcard and gapps.zip too if going to a CyanogenMod ROM
11. Reboot and enjoy the new ROM, the first boot takes longer than usual, also some problems may disappear after rebooting.

NOTES:

- NEVER use Android Settings 'Factory Reset' from now on, only do factory reset & wipes from within recovery mode. Most ROMs should have this option removed from the Android settings.

- Some newer Optimus V screens hardware changed, see link: [FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms (BobZHome's IHO recovery from the Wiki binary -> recovery page also works with newer screens.)

- If restoring a backed up ROM in CWM recovery gives 'MD5 mismatch' error (likely caused by renaming a ROM backup). Try this fix:
# cd /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/<name_of_backup>
# rm nandroid.md5
# md5sum *img > nandroid.md5

- If you ever want to restore to original stock ROM (ONLY on OV's with older screen), with original recovery and UNrooted:
How to restore your Optimus V to almost original condition - Prepaid Android

Can you please remove the gingerbreak reference/method?

I see this was started yesterday, but from what Ive found in recent forums @ XDA, and from my previous attempt (it broke data and didnt work...yay) it doesnt work.

Maybe I'm wrong but at at least this will cause people to double check first so the same doesnt happen to them.

Upvote 0
Can you please remove the gingerbreak reference/method?

I see this was started yesterday, but from what Ive found in recent forums @ XDA, and from my previous attempt (it broke data and didnt work...yay) it doesnt work.

Maybe I'm wrong but at at least this will cause people to double check first so the same doesnt happen to them.

Gingerbreak to root does work, for me & others. I have been following some threads on XDA & AndroidCentral. It basically came down to user error and not following directions closely.

Just curious, how exactly did it break data? is 3G Data not working after reboot? Or after you installed a custom ROM?

Upvote 0
I did read on xda that gingerbreak was not working on some phones because of recent updates to phones. I'm sure an update is why Quick Setting will not work properly for tethering on my new optimus. It is seen by my nook color and my laptop but will not connect to the server. I don't really need that function but I tried anyway. I mainly want a few newer ideas before I try to root with outdated info.
So technically this is a gingerbread root but will work for 2.2 stock... But the cm7 rom upgrades to 2.3 correct. And the rom you suggest above does not inhibit any of the native functions of the phone. I can live with the stock rom but I want mainly to be able to have a few more apps withing memory issues and thought a root, backup and link2sd was really all I need to make me happy enough, although overclocking in the future might be okay too.

Upvote 0
Gingerbreak.apk will work even on the Froyo 2.2.2,It was originally designed to root Stock 2.3 ROM's
If you just want to overclock the stock ROM, pickasticks-07a Kernel will work nicely on 2.2.1. If you have 2.2.2 you will need the picasticks v7 remix any kernel found here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html All you have to do is wipe cache partition and Dalvik cache.

Reactions: kc3
Upvote 0
I'm really confused about these instructions...
so I "backed up" via clockwork, but how do I get my old application data back? Or did I completely miss/screw up and I will not get all my texts and contacts back... ? :eek:

The recovery backup feature, backups the whole ROM, in case you mess it up in the future, you can go back to it. If you want, you can restore the backed up ROM, it should have everything you had before. At this point, use an app like Titanium backup to actually backup your SMS & other stuff (I've never used it myself, but you can search for other apps that backup SMS). Then continue with the instructions about flashing a new ROM, and once everything is setup on the new ROM, you can restore your SMS from the original. But be warned, restoring a lot of apps & data from a different ROM can cause problems, it's better to start the new ROM with a clean slate and just re-install all the apps from the market. But once this is done, upgrading to a new version of the same ROM shouldn't have to require you to reinstall all the apps every time, usually it's just a simple wipe cache and dalvik-cache in recovery mode before flashing the update.

Upvote 0
I am desperately in need of more room and am sick and tired of choosing which app I like must be deleted so I can try something else out. I wanted to get a quick confirmation before I move forward with the Gingerbreak root. In the past I have read several other root methods "breaking" certain items such as MMS or bluetooth. Has this been resolved with Gingerbreak? Will all my current stock features work? TIA

Upvote 0
Hey first time on here and ready to root my new optimus v. Been forum hopping reading up on it and have a couple questions yet. My phone is running android 2.2.1. Does this factor in to the rooting process or are these directions up to date for all optimus vs? Also can I stop after step 3 once the phone is rooted? And if I do continue on to a CM7 rom have all bugs been worked out at this point for optimus v? THANKS!

Upvote 0
Hey.......You should follow every step that's posted to the LETTER. There's no room for shortcuts, unless u want a paperweight. You need Rom manager in order to install clockwork after you root. TiBu to back up your files. As for as CM 7? There are nightlies constantly being pushed out.....just read the changelogs; they'll tell you what bugs have been fixed from a previous version. Do some more research before you do anything, the VITAL. have a back up plane in case things don't go right, so that you can recover. Other than that? Welcome to the Darkside!!!!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. The directions also mention a fire manager app. Is there any particular one? Final questions on this topic are; 1. do installed apps get deleted when you root or do you only delete them when you flash a custom rom? 2. Do you have any pre-root backup suggestions. Thanks for quick reply too.

Hey. Your apps will stay put until after you flash your Rom.use TiBu to back everything up after you root. You can do a batch backup. Once that's done, open Rom manager and flash clockwork. You can't flash a Rom until you have clockwork installed. Once you have that installed, reboot into recovery(R.M. does it for you, you'll see the option) and make a Nandroid backup. Use your volume keys to scroll down to backup/restore ,use the camera button to select, and wait while everything backs up. Once that's done, use the back button on your phone to get back to reboot phone, not reboot recovery.use camera button to select. Phone will reboot, and voil

Upvote 0
OK, might sound like a dumb question but how do you get the file to the sd card when the phone is in debugging mode?

OK figured it out, the usb mount wasn't automatic with debugging on so I had to click on it in notification area. However the zip files from the link above don't seem to work.

I formatted my sd card so I have three files named .android secure, android, and LOST.DIR in that order. Which file should i copy to?

Upvote 0
OK, might sound like a dumb question but how do you get the file to the sd card when the phone is in debugging mode?

Definitely not a dumb question. Are you downloading ur zip via ur phone or USB? If thru the phone, go ahead and dl astro file manager Now, and search search ur downloads folder if u already downloaded via phone. Whatever browseru used to dl is where the file will be. If using the PC, hook it up, go to my computer, and look for ur phone (it should be in USB mass storage mode) when u find it, locate the file ur looking for.place it on the root of ur SD....(u should see things like music,Android,download). Once file is copied, exit USB mass storage mode. Use whatever file manager to navigate back to zip. (Is this for gingerbreak? Or is this for your rom?) If its for gingerbreak, click on it and install.follow prompts. But I need to know if its for gingerbreak or a rom before I can go further

Upvote 0
Uninstall. Gingerbreak.reboot your phone.then take it out of lost.did and place it on the root of ur SD card. Its the same directory as lost.did,just take it out of lost.did and paste. U should see things like media,bootanim.,umm...its the directory than pops up as soon as u open ur file manager.once its there,click on it, reinstall, try titanium again,and get back to me..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones