• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

You first need to unzip it (extract). Then move the actual .apk to the root of the SD card (not in any folder, but right with the list's of folders).
Next tap or long press (been to long to remember) , whichever gives you the option to install.
First make sure in settings/applications/development that you have unknown sources and android debugging checked. Then install. When it's done installing select done and go to app drawer.
Click on it.

It might take as many as 10 tries or work first rattle out of the box.
If after ten minutes it doesn't auto reboot then pull battery and try again.
When you here "Virgin Mobile" you know it's done it's job. You can now update the Superuser app and download a Busybox installer if you plan on staying stock (install location should be /system/xbin.
Most important thing to do next is to install the custom flash_image and flash the ZenGarden recovery. Then make a backup in the "backup and restore option.
If you want to flash a ROM I can help with that too.
If you need help with anything just holler.

Reactions: PL28
Upvote 0
You can now update the Superuser app and download a Busybox installer if you plan on staying stock (install location should be /system/xbin.
Most important thing to do next is to install the custom flash_image and flash the ZenGarden recovery. Then make a backup in the "backup and restore option.
If you want to flash a ROM I can help with that too.
If you need help with anything just holler.

Hello, I've had my OV for over a year now and like everyone else, I constantly run out of space due to low internal memory. I've read this entire thread a couple times..lol.. and would like to give rooting a try. I would prefer to just have more control over memory (link2sd) but would like my phone to stay as is. I assume that is what "staying stock" means?

So let me get this straight, once rooted, I would download the superuser app from market. Then I would download busybox app from market as well...a brief explanation as to why these two apps are needed or what they do exactly would be great. It probably has been explained somewhere already, but 99% of this stuff is waaay over my head. It's like a different language :eek:

The next major step would be a back up just in case my phone bricks or something weird happens? im assuming I would just follow section 2 of the guide (steps 4 & 5), but im confused about the quoted line I bolded. "flash the zengarden recovery"? any explanation or detail on this would be great.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Upvote 0
You need to update the Superuser app to the newest because the Gingerbreak.apk has a two year old version in it.
You need to install Busybox because it has the necessary binaries to allow Link2SD to work, as well as a multitude of other rooted apps. Try the jrummy16 Busybox installer.
If you want a little more speed you can flash the pica07_remix kernel and overclock safely to 725MHz max/480MHz min.
Helpful links: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
pica07remix - Download - 4shared.
Will be happy to answer any more questions.

Upvote 0
You need to update the Superuser app to the newest because the Gingerbreak.apk has a two year old version in it.
You need to install Busybox because it has the necessary binaries to allow Link2SD to work, as well as a multitude of other rooted apps. Try the jrummy16 Busybox installer.
If you want a little more speed you can flash the pica07_remix kernel and overclock safely to 725MHz max/480MHz min.
Helpful links: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770
pica07remix - Download - 4shared.
Will be happy to answer any more questions.

Thank you!!! I was able to complete each step (Root, recovery), the only problem I have is busybox will not install. Tried both market apps...not sure if that will cause a problem with link2sd as that was the whole reason I started this lil adventure. This is probably easy stuff but new to this...thank you again.

Upvote 0
Did you try to install to the /system/xbin location?
It usually fails trying to install to the /system/bin location.
This is also why most custom ROM's have it pre-installed to the /system/xbin location.

I'm not sure why you want to keep the stock ROM on the phone (keeping a backup on the sd card is a smart idea), it's seriously handicapped.
The newest MiRaGe ROM is way better.
Question: You did backup the stock ROM in a custom recovery already right?
This needs to be done before installing Busybox.
This is really important.

Question #2: How did you upgrade to the ZV5?
The ZV4 is actually the best, VM locked the bootloader in the ZV5.

Upvote 0
Did you try to install to the /system/xbin location?
It usually fails trying to install to the /system/bin location.
This is also why most custom ROM's have it pre-installed to the /system/xbin location.

I'm not sure why you want to keep the stock ROM on the phone (keeping a backup on the sd card is a smart idea), it's seriously handicapped.
The newest MiRaGe ROM is way better.
Question: You did backup the stock ROM in a custom recovery already right?
This needs to be done before installing Busybox.
This is really important.

Question #2: How did you upgrade to the ZV5?
The ZV4 is actually the best, VM locked the bootloader in the ZV5.

Yes it was xbin for location but I was following post #426 and tried to install busybox before doing the backup. Not sure what I should do at this point...try to install busybox again?

Also, how can I verfiy I backed up the stock rom correctly. I followed steps 4 & 5 of the guide but I'm still uncertain if I did it correctly.

Not sure what your asking about ZV4/ZV5? I don't even know what that means lol. I followed steps 1-5 of the first post.

As far as staying stock goes, I will say again that this all started due to having low memory. Up until 3 days ago, I have never attempted to do anything with my phone except make a call. This is very very new to me and still trying to figure out the terminology and what does what exactly.

I do thank you very much for your time and answering my questions! We all have to start somewhere I guess.

Upvote 0
Sorry about the ZV4/ZV5 I think I got my posters mixed up.

To verify if you backed up the ROM correctly go to:
/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
You should see a folder with a funky date on it.

Which Busybox installer did you try?

To check which baseband you have go to:
menu/settings/about phone.
If ZV5 then a Busybox install is very problamatic.
It would be easier to install the MiRage ROM thru the recovery (already has su and Busybox).

I have 104 downloaded apps. I still have 123MB of internal storage left. The reason is I use the MiRaGe ROM, Link2SD, and a 16GB class 4 Sandisk micro SD card. The micro SD card can be found at WalMart for under $20.00

Let me know what you have done so far with the recovery (which one did you install, did you make a backup of the stock ROM), and what you would like to do. I'm all ears (actually...eye's).

Upvote 0
To verify if you backed up the ROM correctly go to:
/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup.
You should see a folder with a funky date on it.

Must have done something wrong. Went into SD card files using Androzip and see no folder that says "clockworkmod"

Which Busybox installer did you try?

One by JRummy, the other was Stephen. First two apps that appeared after I search busybox on the market

To check which baseband you have go to:
menu/settings/about phone.
If ZV5 then a Busybox install is very problamatic.
It would be easier to install the MiRage ROM thru the recovery (already has su and Busybox).

Yes first three digits under build number are ZV5.

I have 104 downloaded apps. I still have 123MB of internal storage left. The reason is I use the MiRaGe ROM, Link2SD, and a 16GB class 4 Sandisk micro SD card. The micro SD card can be found at WalMart for under $20.00

This is exactly what I'm trying to do! Not have severe limitations on internal memory as I only have 40 or so apps installed but my memory is at that nasty 20mb point.

I have a 32GB class 4 card already.

Let me know what you have done so far with the recovery (which one did you install, did you make a backup of the stock ROM), and what you would like to do. I'm all ears (actually...eye's).

I have explained to the best of my ability with the above answers. I think I made a few mistakes...lol

Also, everything I have done so far has been using the 2GB sd card that came with my phone. I assumed I could just pop my 32GB back in after all this was done.

Thank you again for your time

Upvote 0
Ok. Using the 2GB sd card, go into your recovery and find the "backup and restore" section. Select the "backup" option. Select yes.
This will make the clockworkmod folder with the backup in it.

Go to the PlayStore and download Root Uninstaller and Titanium Backup. Open up Root Uninstaller and let it do it's thing.
Open up Titanium and find the scheduals tab. Run both options, one right after the other.

Next go to the All Things Root Guide sticky.
Go here: https://github.com/inferiorhumanorgans/android_device_lge_thunderc_common/wiki/Binary.
Download the MiRage ROM for the Optimus V.

Then go here:
http://goo-inside.me/gapps/
Download the 20110828 Gapps (Google application package). Leave them zipped and put them on the root of the sd card:
/sdcard.
(not in any folder,just with the list of folders).

Then go here:
http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...tory-reset-your-rooted-phone.html#post3263770.
Let the page fully load, the tutorial is in post 22.
Go to section 7 and read all the rest.

After you have the ROM and gapps installed. Take out 2GB card and transfer all data to the computer.

Put 32GB sd card into computer and transfer all data to the computer.

Put 32GB card back in phone. Power up phone. Go to menu/settings/storage.
Select to erase card.

Go to the recovery (which one would have been a good bit of info for me). Assuming you used the one in the rooting guide, go to the advanced section and find the partition sd card option.

Select the 2.??GB size option.
Select yes. It will make a 2.??GB partition on the sd card that has an ext.3 format.

Now go back to the ROM and Download Titanium and Link2SD.
Open up Titanium and go to the Backup/Restore tab. Scroll down and install all apps that are widget apps.
Open up Link2SD and choose ext.3.
Reboot phone.
Open up Link2SD. Go to menu/settings . Check the Auto link box.
Go back to Titanium and install all the rest of the apps.
Note: The pro key is worth the money only if you plan to flash a lot of ROM's. If just doing this once install one at a time manually (the pro key allows you to select a batch restore, hit one button and it will do all the work).
Once everything is installed reboot phone.
After reboot check the pull down notification. If Link2sd warrning, open it up. Select the ext.3 option one more time and reboot phone.
Done.
Double check that all apps except widget apps are on the SD card and linked.

Link2SD is also the best uninstaller of unwanted ROM pre-installed apps.
Car at Home
Live wallpapers and pickers.
News and weather.
Browser.
Launcher.
Etc.
Just make sure you have an alternate launcher and or browser installed before deleting.
If you don't know if it's safe to delete, ask.

Once you have everything set up just how you want it, put clockworkmod folder (and anything else you need) onto 32GB card. Make backup of the new ROM.

The best setting for the CPU is:
Interactive Governor.
min set to 480MHz.
max set to 768MHz.
(found in CyanogenMod settings/performance).

You will have more questions as you discover all the supercool options.

Reactions: HTaddiction
Upvote 0
Please let me know which recovery you installed.

Also: The instructions in the tutorial where for those without Link2SD.
Follow instructions ^ for Link2SD.

"Go to the recovery (which one would have been a good bit of info for me). Assuming you used the one in the rooting guide, go to the advanced section and find the partition sd card option."

Not sure what this sentence means. A little further explaining would be great. I downloaded a file from section 4 of the rooting guide if that's what your referring to.

Also, by "reboot", are you saying to 1)turn phone off, then back on or 2)turn phone off, remove battery for a sec, turn back on?

thank you... I am currently doing the titanium back up part of your instructions btw.

Upvote 0
There are so many recovery's and they have different menu's and options.
OK, That means you have the BobZome recovery. The info I gave is for this recovery.
This is a very good recovery. I know it well. It will allow you to flash all Gingerbread, ICS, and Jellybean ROM's.
It doesn't have the fix recovery loop option though. You can download the zipped version of the Xionia 1.2518.6 recovery and keep it on the root of the sd card, just in case. Or: you can install a recovery with that option in it already.
Let me know what you would like to do.

To reboot just means to turn phone off, then back on.

Upvote 0
There are so many recovery's and they have different menu's and options.
OK, That means you have the BobZome recovery. The info I gave is for this recovery.
This is a very good recovery. I know it well. It will allow you to flash all Gingerbread, ICS, and Jellybean ROM's.
It doesn't have the fix recovery loop option though. You can download and install the zipped version of the Xionia 1.2518.6 recovery and keep it on the root of the sd card, just in case. Or: you can install a recovery with that option in it already.
Let me know what you would like to do.

To reboot just means to turn phone off, then back on.

Is it possible to verify which recovery and if I did this correctly? I'm starting to think I made a mistake with that. Recovery is simply a menu option to go into during bootup correct?

I downloaded the VM670NH_recovery.img (step 4 of rooting guide) frommy phone's browser and proceeded to step 5 on the guide (first post in this thread). There is a file with that title in my download folder. I selected recovery image from the flash GUI app with the downloaded file.

Also, when you say "go to the recovery" you are saying shut down phone and turn on while holding down home, vol dwn & power correct?

Also on the gapps download...one says "newtalk-signed". I downloaded the other one that had the most downloads. it simply said signed. was that the right one?

Thank you

Upvote 0
It looks like you have the recovery installed.
There are two ways to get into the recovery with the stock ROM.
1. Download a terminal emulator from the PlayStore. Open it up and type in:

su
reboot recovery

(hit the return key after each line).

2. Hold down the HOME + VOLUME DOWN then the POWER . Hold them all at the same time until you see the LG logo.

If the recovery was installed you will see 8 options in menu.
If not you will only see 4-5 (this is the stock recovery).

As far as the Gapps, the ones you have will work just fine.

Upvote 0
Try turning off phone. Then plug into computer. Turn phone on. Check for icon in phones task bar at top.

If that doesn't work try phone on, computer off. Phone plugged into computer.
Turn computer on.

If that doesn't work go here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1844735
Left the developer know exactly what's wrong.

If no fix available let me know. I will link you to another stable ROM.

Upvote 0
Try turning off phone. Then plug into computer. Turn phone on. Check for icon in phones task bar at top.

If that doesn't work try phone on, computer off. Phone plugged into computer.
Turn computer on.

If that doesn't work go here: [ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-IHO - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Left the developer know exactly what's wrong.

If no fix available let me know. I will link you to another stable ROM.

Thank you...I think I got it working. Had to install windows drivers because the phone wasn't being recognized. Also had to turn off debugging. Does debugging need to be stay on after the phone is rooted?

Upvote 0
Really! Hmm.
Just make sure you turn USB Debugging on before flashing a theme,kernel, or anything alpha/beta. Also: turn it on before adding or deleting any system apps or folder, editing build.prop, etc.
This is for just in case you softbrick your phone. USB debugging needs to be on when trying to give shell commands to phone from computer.

What's your CPU setting now?

Upvote 0
Really! Hmm.
Just make sure you turn USB Debugging on before flashing a theme,kernel, or anything alpha/beta. Also: turn it on before adding or deleting any system apps or folder, editing build.prop, etc.
This is for just in case you softbrick your phone. USB debugging needs to be on when trying to give shell commands to phone from computer.

What's your CPU setting now?

Im using the settings you suggested in post #434. Working on setting things up but all is looking good so far. Got the link2sd working and have a majority of my apps installed with well over 100mb of space!

I'm curious about restore of things such as swype. Titanium warned it was a "system app" so i didn't bother til asking first.

Thank you again for taking the time...

Upvote 0
It seems like Root Uninstaller Pro does a better job, but if Titanium Backup handles it, no problem.
If for some reason it creates a problem, delete using Link2SD and install a swype keyboard from the market.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help with this. What a difference! I have everything set up nicely and did a backup this morning. Glad I came across this website.

I have been reading up on the ATR thread and this different language is slowly starting to make more and more since to me :)

Thank you again.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones