1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Root [HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Whyzor, Aug 2, 2011.

1. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    Check out the MiRaGe ROM in the All Things Root Guide sticky.

You don't want to use a Froyo ROM or Stock ROM if your letting other people play with your phone.
    The reason is they both have the factory reset option in the privacy settings. If selected when rooted, it will brick the phone.

You need to put the MiRaGe ROM on the phone (No factory reset option in the privacy setting).
    With the Stock ROM and the MiRage ROM backed up all you have to do to activate is to restore the backup of the Stock ROM, when activated, restore the MiRaGe.
    You can, and need, to use the "wipe data/factory reset" option in the recovery before restoring a ROM (as well as the other wipe and format options-excluding the format sd card option of course).

Advertisement

2. madosaurus

madosaurus Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I am a total newb to this android rooting/ROM ing stuff, I just wonder, if there are android 2.3 phones that run virgin, why couldn't one of their activation modules or scripts (or whatever it is) be installed into a gingerbreaked optimus V? Then this wouldn't be a problem.

(I hope this hasn't already been asked, haven't got time right now to read the whole thread).

Edit: said jellybeaned by mistake

3. tli

tli Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    You've got a broad community of experienced OV users here that have had this phone since its release--about 3 years now. All that extensive working knowledgebase has been tried, tested, refined, updated, culminated and documented in the threads posted here in this forum. If it was possible and/or feasible, it would have been tried and posted. The working options suggested to you by AndyOpie150 are sound advices based on actual practical experiences of many OV users. It's good to question, but take the time to read and understand... ;)

brotherswing and badblue1 like this.
  4. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    truck driver
    ~ the "burgh" ~
    +1^

Well said. :)

5. AndyOpie150

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    madosaurus:

Let be perfectly honest with you. We do nothing illegal here, will do nothing illegal here, and will not suggest anyone do something illegal.

What you propose to attempt sounds illegal. I will not talk about it further.

badblue1 likes this.
  6. swaykills

swaykills Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I know I'm showing up a little late to the party but i pray to god someone will still see this and reply. I don't even understand the gingerbreak part. i downloaded the zip on PC once, tried from phone once. Tried the zipped file, tried unzipping and using the files inside, but i do not understand. I never get an option to install anything. I know I'm just missing something and probably being a complete moron, but I need help. Everything else makes total sense, I just cannot figure out how to get something from gingerbreak that is able to be installed.

7. AndyOpie150

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    Make sure you have the Unknown sources box checked, and in the development section of the applications section make sure you have the debugging box checked.

The zip you need is in the second post of that thread.
    Once it's downloaded you will need to move it to the root of the SD card and extract the contents (not in any folder, just in the same directory as the folders- /sdcard). AndroZip is good for this.
    Once extracted you just need to tap or long press (depending on the file manager) the Gingerbreak.apk to bring up the install option.
    Once installed select done.
    Now exit file manager and select the app in the app drawer.
    It might take 10 tries to establish root, but it is totally safe for the V.
    If it doesn't auto reboot the phone in 10 minutes, pull battery and try again.

Once rooted you have to install a custom recovery and make the all important Nandroid backup of your system (it's kind of like a restore point on a computer, only it's stored on the SD card).
    Go to the All Things Root Guide sticky/Guides section/How to install a flash_image; flash a recovery, ROM, or theme.
    Select either the BobZohme or CWMod touch screen recovery. Then follow the directions.
    Note: The MiRaGe ROM is still the best ROM the V has ever seen. Anything else is just second place.

Note#2: The nandroid backup is stored in the clockworkmod folder on the SD card. It would be a good idea to copy and transfer the clockworkmod folder to your computer.

8. swaykills

swaykills Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I have the zip file in the download folder. I extract all to the mnt/sdcard section. I get the files, gingerbreak.c, gingerbreakoriginal v1 and v2, and a readme file. Using Androzip, I do not get an install option from any of these files. Is the zip missing something? Should I re-download? Or am I just hopelessly ignorant..

9. brotherswing

brotherswing Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Male
    Full time Dad, cook
    In my living room.
    The file that you're extracting has a .zip extension, correct? If the extension is .apk then you shouldn't extract it, but rather install it (as Andy described above.) If it is a zip file, then after you extract it look for a file that DOES end in apk. That's what you need to install.

10. swaykills

swaykills Member

Feb 9, 2014
    It is a zip file, when extracted there is no apk files. I downloaded the correct zip. Should I redownload or download from a different location?

EDIT: I have redownloaded from the page given, viewed archive once again, and my downloaded zip file does not contain any .apk files.

11. swaykills

swaykills Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Is there another download location that I can get the apk not zipped? Ive gone through mediafire, 4shared, 2shared, few others now and I never receive an apk file. I am so confused at this point. I have debug and other locations ticked, but I just never get an apk file. About to just give up trying.

Edit: could the issue have anything to do with my build being zv5?

12. tli

tli Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011

http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-...-root-recovery-custom-rom-10.html#post5794202

13. swaykills

swaykills Member

Feb 9, 2014
    My savior lol. Worked like a charm, thank you.

14. madosaurus

madosaurus Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I haven't got the slightest idea of why that would be illegal??

15. udaasali53

udaasali53 Member

Sep 7, 2014
    LG-F180
    Also known as LG Optimus G E973, LG Optimus G E971, LG Optimus G E975
    how to fix any solution
    fastboot mode started
    udc_start()
    -- reset --
    --portchange --

16. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *

Nov 18, 2011
    Male
    truck driver
    ~ the "burgh" ~
    Sorry udaasali53, but this is the LG Optimus V forum, you will need to post in your device specific forum, i don't know your carrier but try posting here LG Optimus G - Android Forums

Good luck. :)

Tags: