• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to spot a fake galaxy note 2?

note2power

Lurker
Feb 10, 2013
Hey guys i am trying to figure out how to spot fake note 2's. I recently saw a note 2 that didnt have the s-note feature on it already. The phone has all the other features and is running 4.1.1, but no multi window as well. It is the international version gt-n7100. I just want to know if this is a fake or not, since it does not have the s-note.. It also has a regular pen instead of the s pen that has a button on it as well. Other then that, the phone has everthing else from charger, box, owners manual, headphones, etc. It is also already unlocked. Any help would be great!

Thanks

They're very easy to spot. Usually they will be thicker than the original, be missing the logo, and there will be details in the device design that are off. Even the best fakes are easily distinguishable from the real deal to the trained eye.

If you're having trouble I recommend finding a high resolution image of the real Note 2 and comparing any phone you want to buy against it. Honestly, more often than not, that's all it takes. Once you learn the design you will be able to tell a fake from a mile away.

Upvote 0
Often you can tell from the specs - it's common for the cpu or screen resolution to be wrong, and sometimes they are dual SIM when the original is not. Depends on how much effort they are putting in to making a forgery that would fool someone knowledgeable rather than just something that will look real from a distance. But you do get a few that seem to be trying quite hard, though as 2 Phonez says there are generally differences if you look in detail (looking under the back cover can help here).

What you say about the pen and software says fake to me too. Also if a deal seems too good to be true, that's time to be alert.

Upvote 0
okay that what i was thinking. This got to be a ver good fake, it has all the logos that the real phone has from the samsung on the top screen, the 2 batteries both look exactly like the ones that are i see the person unboxing on youtube. I am at lost, either this is just the best fake note 2 or somehow the s note and drawing got deleted during the unlocking?

Upvote 0
here are the pics Thanks guys for the help!

photo2_zps3f55da2c.jpg
[/IMG]

photo3_zpsd2a9e717.jpg
[/IMG]

photo4_zpsc7ea7b1f.jpg
[/IMG]

Upvote 0
Would be good if someone who knows the Note 2 were to comment, but I have my doubts about the software info. I tried googling that baseband version and got this XDA thread about rooting Mediatek clone phones, and this one about a Note 2 clone. The "build number" gives me links to off-brand tablets.

I usually figure that baseband versions will correspond to official ones (ROMs, kernel builds might not if the device is rooted, but I don't think anyone homebrews basebands), which is why I checked this.

So while as I says it would be good to hear from someone familiar with the Note 2, I think it looks fake to me. Good fake, but fake.

Upvote 0
It's fake. A very good fake, but a fake nonetheless.

Compare your images to this for example:

hu9AhsS.jpg

The device you have looks too skinny, the bezel on the sides and the top is too thick, and from the photos at least I'd guess the screen is too small too.

The most damning evidence is the baseband though. Google that baseband version. It's only ever found in fake phones.

The box looks legit though.

Upvote 0
here are the pics Thanks guys for the help!
photo3_zpsd2a9e717.jpg

That's a Chinese fake OK. It's got almost the same baseband as my cheapo 5inch dual SIM phone. And "CST" in the kernel string, China Standard Time.

My cheapo Kliton I806 dual SIM 5 inch looks almost identical to the Galaxy Note 2. However unlike yours it doesn't have any Samsung branding on it. Does it have GPS and a compass? Because usually the fakes don't have these. It's certainly not going to have an AMOLED screen either, and you'll probably find that the camera is rather poor as well.

The other thing that gives away counterfeits from the real thing. Is that fakes are not sold by reputable sellers or carriers, certainly not in the US. Did you buy it on Ebay?

Upvote 0
FYI
Ive seen a few clones out there, some better than others. Each has its own model name, number and specs. Most I've seen are Dual SIM 3g GSM and WCDMA.

Like:

The 4.7 inch "Note III" Dual core is more of an SG3 clone
1356627464587-P-565311.jpg

The 5.5 inch Star S7180 Dual core is closer
20121293296556.jpg

The best of the bunch is the 5.8 inch Cubot A6589 Quad Core
1358719917996-P-613977.jpg

Take note that none of these has the samsung logo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones