• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to STOP galaxy from automatically turning on and connecting to WiFi?

Om my S2 using version 4.0.3 I don't have a 'Connection Optimizer' option when I go into 'Mobile Networks'. Why is this or am I doing something wrong?

It's because the Connections Optimizer was introduced with JB (v. 4.1.2). If you ever choose to upgrade to JB, then you will have the Connections Optimizer option.

Upvote 0
I have a note 3 with the most up to date version of Kitkat on T-Mobile (4.4.2). I am experiencing the same problems with my wifi Randomly turning on. I haven't found the connection optimizer feature on my phone. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

I have your answer, if you haven't found it already. It was quite evasive but some other people's hints narrowed it down and I finally found it.

Instead of putting the Wifi manager in the phone's settings menu, T-Mobile hid it in the My Account app, which incidentally with the last update also started hitting me with ads. Very strange, although the ads can also be disabled in the settings.

In my case, the Wifi would turn on because of lost cell tower signal, and the phone would glitch and be unable to connect to a tower without a full system restart. So the pictures below show how to turn this abysmally implemented feature off, with the originals attached just in case.

Wifi%204.png

Wifi%205.png

Wifi%206.png

Attachments

• Wifi 1.jpg
    Wifi 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Wifi 2.jpg
    Wifi 2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 343
  • Wifi 3.jpg
    Wifi 3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
Hey guys!
i am using android 4.2.2 mbl
im getting frustrated all d day wid my wifi auto connection
even though i keep my wifi off, it connects automatically along with data connection and reducing my battery power as well as amount from dat sim.... every morning...
when ph is idle for few minutes it is connecting automatically wifi on nd also data connection of my first sim......

please help me :banghead:

Upvote 0
My husband has been trying to find the Connection Optimizer on his Galaxy 2, for days, so he can disable the Wifi continuously connecting. We can't find it in the suggested location. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 90339
You're not going to find it - it's a setting unique to US phones on the Sprint carrier.

Something else is forcing your wifi back on - for example, the phone locator in Lookout Security will do it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this helpful reply.

I've got this same problem on my daughter's GS2. It doesn't, as far as I am aware, switch the WIFI functionality on if it's off, however, what it is doing, is connecting to every single WIFI network that it comes into contact with.

I've just been through it and "forgotten" all of these extra WIFI networks, and we'll see if it continues to re-add them tomorrow, but as you've pointed out above, we also don't have the Connection Optimiser software in the MORE SETTINGS sub-menus. This is a British phone on the EE network.

Wondered if any Brit users knew how to stop the phone from continually connecting to every WIFI network it finds?

Many thanks

Upvote 0
I have AT&T the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ & I've had the same problem where my wifi would connect on its own. All I did was to go wifi (while it's connected) & in the right hand corner it has 2 options wifi direct & more. Click on advance & then click on more then go down until you see auto connect. Then you obviously unchecked that & bam there you have it problem solved! ☺

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-18-23-12-15.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-18-23-12-15.png
    491.6 KB · Views: 331
  • Screenshot_2016-01-18-23-12-25.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-18-23-12-25.png
    742.7 KB · Views: 310
Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
I have AT&T the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ & I've had the same problem where my wifi would connect on its own. All I did was to go wifi (while it's connected) & in the right hand corner it has 2 options wifi direct & more. Click on advance & then click on more then go down until you see auto connect. Then you obviously unchecked that & bam there you have it problem solved! ☺

I agree with this. The ONLY WiFi link that I have AutoConnect is my home router... All of the others just show up and are on the "WiFi Available" list.... if I choose to connect, I select one..... I use WiFi360 as my primary list finder.
* WiFi Overview 360 Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
I have a Sprint Note 4. Even with turning off the optimizers connectivity and the advanced setting all are off such as allow auto scanning my phone, night WiFi, etcetera it continuously scans and connects to WiFi.
From what I read its a lollipop issue.
Also if you read each app permissions some will have change network connectivity and or connect and disconnect from WiFi.
On my phone these apps have those permissions= Sprint smart search, messenger, messenger plus, voicemail and Facebook. Their are probably more if look at each one.
Also sync in app permissions can be a issue with connectivity, turning on WiFi
I read one person had google fit syncing even though he never used it.
One person posted on another site loaded macrodriod to run a macro that stopped the WiFi every time it launched.
I believe the connectivity toggled off renders little help due to popular app permissions.
If anyone else found a app that controls the auto connect to WiFi and it works please list

Upvote 0
My Samsung phone was turning on and connecting wifi by itself. I discovered that Avast Mobile Security / Anti-Theft was responsible. The software defaults to turning on wifi for tracking if the phone believes it is lost or stolen. I had removed the SIM card while the phone was in for screen replacement. This instigated the lost/stolen response, and it was turning on wifi because this had not been reset. To reset it i simply had to log in to the AntiTheft feature in Avast with my password. Once the phone knew it was me wifi no longer turned on by itself !!

Upvote 0
I think this may have started since the last system update, but my galaxy SII now auto-connects to any WiFi network in range. This is incredibly frustrating because it drains the battery like crazy.

The other night, for instance, I had a fully charged battery before I went to bed (I had the WiFi off), but the next morning the WiFi had turned on automatically and my battery was at around 50%. Very frustrating.

I read in another forum post that "forgetting" networks will stop the phone from auto-connecting, but that's not an option for me because the security keys for the networks I use sometimes are long and impossible to remember.

How can I STOP the phone from automatically turning on the WiFi?
I've been wrestling
I think this may have started since the last system update, but my galaxy SII now auto-connects to any WiFi network in range. This is incredibly frustrating because it drains the battery like crazy.

The other night, for instance, I had a fully charged battery before I went to bed (I had the WiFi off), but the next morning the WiFi had turned on automatically and my battery was at around 50%. Very frustrating.

I read in another forum post that "forgetting" networks will stop the phone from auto-connecting, but that's not an option for me because the security keys for the networks I use sometimes are long and impossible to remember.

How can I STOP the phone from automatically turning on the WiFi?
S6 solution: settings/ applications/ application manager /connections optimizer/force stop

Upvote 0
Go to Menu - Settings - More Settings - Mobile Networks - Connection Optimizer and uncheck Sprint Connection Optimizer.

I had the same problem and finally found the solution on one of the forums.

Hello alb, Thank you for the advice. I really haven't given it a try but it makes total sense. I'm going to give you the credit since I saw your post first. I will reply back later with my long term results.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones