1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to stop google snooping

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by boristhemoggy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. boristhemoggy

boristhemoggy Member

Every so often I get a popup asking if I want google to scan my phone and check for stuff. I always click decline but I was tired this morning and not paying attention and I clicked accept. They only ask when you are installing or updating an app so in a sly way they expect to trick a lot of people into clicking accept, and indeed this morning it worked like a charm.
    Anyway, I can't find anywhere to turn it back off. Does anyone know how to do it?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by girolez, Feb 10, 2016 (4 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

Hi

In the app "google settings"

go to
    Personal Info & Privacy
    Activity Controls

There you can turn off/on what google saves.

4. boristhemoggy

boristhemoggy Member

I've never even seen google settings until now. Great help, thank you.

Mikestony likes this.
  5. Blu8

Blu8 Android Expert

I'm pretty sure that only happens when you install apps from third party sources, in which case it's more Google looking out for you than spying on you (something they don't need to trick people to do, if they really wanted to)

codesplice likes this.
  6. boristhemoggy

boristhemoggy Member

It depends what they do in the name of looking out for me. A lot of apps I uninstall because they are so intrusive too. There can never be a reason for a mapping app to have access to your contacts....

7. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

...unless you want directions to someone's address, in which case using their contact info is extremely useful. :)

chanchan05, svim, Blu8 and 3 others like this.
  8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well I can think of a couple.

1. Navigate to Friend's House. If you put your friend's address in his contact info, all you need on the map app is select your friend.

2. Waze let's you add friends, and it may search from your contacts to do so. In app messaging on Waze can be useful.