• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop incoming calls, texts and email messages from interrupting music play?

tdehan

Oct 13, 2017
When I am playing music on my Note 8 through the Blue Tooth connection to my stereo in my Outback how do I stop incoming phone calls, emails, text messages etc from interrupting the playing music? On my iPhone 6sPlus, there is a switch on the side that turns off notifications allowing the music to not be interrupted. How can I achieve the same thing in my new Note 8?

Thanks

You need to visit the Separate App Sound.

go to settings and type that in the search and it will bring you right to it. i have mine wet to bluetooth and Google Play Music. So when i'm listening to Google Play Music over Bluetooth, the noftification sound will play on the phone and not over the bluetooth device i'm listening through (headphones or car speaker
Screenshot_20171101-104114.jpg

Upvote 0
How to I stop incoming calls, email messages and texts from interrupting music play? I play music from my phone when driving in the car and do not want the music play to be interrupted by incoming messages. I've tried everything that I can find and everything Samsung support has suggested and the issue still happens. On my iPhone 6sPlus there is a little switch on the side that when thrown one direction will stop all incoming interruptions. But I've found nothing like that on my Galaxy Note 8. There's got to be a way to do this.

Upvote 0
Hi, @Brian706 answered your original post in October suggesting 'Do Not Disturb' which would have been my response too. On my HTC M9 with it set to 'Priority' mode it does exactly what you want. Do you not have DND on your Note 8?

I know you have referred to Samsung support but if they are anything like HTC support it depends to a large extent who you actually speak to as to whether you get much sense from them.

Last edited:
Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
How to I stop incoming calls, email messages and texts from interrupting music play? I play music from my phone when driving in the car and do not want the music play to be interrupted by incoming messages. I've tried everything that I can find and everything Samsung support has suggested and the issue still happens. On my iPhone 6sPlus there is a little switch on the side that when thrown one direction will stop all incoming interruptions. But I've found nothing like that on my Galaxy Note 8. There's got to be a way to do this.

Yeh, that sounds like Airplane Mode, which looks something like this in most smart-phones, including Samsung.

airplane-mode.jpg

Although if you're actually streaming music from the internet rather than from the phone itself, this won't be a satisfactory solution of course.

Upvote 0
You should be able to use Do not Disturb mode.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00077642/
Already saw this prior. Followed all instructions. Doesn't work. Music play is still interrupted by calls, texts and emails.

Hi, @Brian706 answered your original post in October suggesting 'Do Not Disturb' which would have been my response too. On my HTC M9 with it set to 'Priority' mode it does exactly what you want. Do you not have DND on your Note 8?

I know you have referred to Samsung support but if they are anything like HTC support it depends to a large extent who you actually speak to as to whether you get much sense from them.
Yup... I read the previous response in October and followed the Do Not Disturb instructions, same as Samsung Support instructed me to do. As I've mentioned already, that does not work. With Do Not Disturb enabled ALL audio is disabled including music playback. With Allow Exceptions enabled and everything disabled except Google Play and Pandora, emails, calls and texts still come through the car speakers via Bluetooth connection.

And yes, I totally agree with you on Samsung Support depending on who you get. However, I've gotten no one that can assist with this...

Reactions: tommo47
Upvote 0
What's an M9? What's Priority mode?

It's the HTC M9, superseded last year by the HTC 10 and this year by the HTC 11.

On the M9 DND has three settings:-

ON - Everything is silenced including media output.

PRIORITY - Media output is active and all other sounds can be silenced as required.

OFF - Everything is active.

Screenshot_20171126-213218.png Screenshot_20171126-213228.png Screenshot_20171126-213325.png
Screenshot_20171126-214828.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try going into your Settings >> Sound >> Do not disturb options and check which rules and other options you have set up.
There is no option like that under settings sound. As already mentioned, I've disabled all but Google play and Pandora under exceptions

You want to your music listening to not be interrupted by phone calls as well, as messaging, etc. switching to airplane mode will do that.

Enabling Airplane mode does not work.

The minute I enable it all music stops as the Bluetooth connection from the Note 8 to the car shows disconnected. The minute I disable it, the car stereo shows that the phone is once again connected via Bluetooth and music resumes.

I can't believe there is no way to do this!!!

It's the HTC M9, superseded last year by the HTC 10 and this year by the HTC 11.

On the M9 DND has three settings:-

ON - Everything is silenced including media output.

PRIORITY - Media output is active and all other sounds can be silenced as required.

OFF - Everything is active.

View attachment 126130 View attachment 126131 View attachment 126132
View attachment 126134

Not sure how that helps in this situation.

Upvote 0
Enabling Airplane mode does not work.

The minute I enable it all music stops as the Bluetooth connection from the Note 8 to the car shows disconnected. The minute I disable it, the car stereo shows that the phone is once again connected via Bluetooth and music resumes.

I can't believe there is no way to do this!!!

You do know that Bluetooth will operate and can connect quite independently of whether Airplane Mode is on or off? After all one might want to be using Bluetooth headphones while on a flight. :D

From my own phone, can see that Airplane Mode is on, Bluetooth is connected to my speaker and is playing music. And I will NOT be interrupted by any calls, messages, emails etc. :thumbsupdroid:
IMG_20171128_102204.jpg

I do use Do Not Disturb Mode sometimes, for when I'm in a meeting or theatre or something and don't want the phone to make any noises at all, but then I'm usually not listening to music either.

Upvote 0
ok let me chime in.

tmobile variant. stock, no root.

i enable DND 98% of the time.

music plays without any disturbance from notifications.

i use it in a car. same thing there. streaming music from google play, amazon music, or anything is not interrupted by notifications--be it text, email, weather alerts.

so its possible that DND will kill the notifications. I am proof of this.

OP, what carrier are you on?

then , we just need to get someone else who has the same variant to test.

you had a iphone so im guessing ATT right? (verizon will be the next answer)...

Reactions: tommo47 and mikedt
Upvote 0
I guess it's yet another significant difference between devices. On the M9 normal DND kills all sound including media, but 'Priority' mode allows the silencing of all notifications and calls with media sound still active.

What's an M9? What's Priority mode?

@marctronixx is right, both the device manufacturers and the various carriers can, and do, put their own stamp on 'Android'. As contributors we can only suggest things based on our own experiences which, as in this case, may not be any help :thinking:.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You do know that Bluetooth will operate and can connect quite independently of whether Airplane Mode is on or off? After all one might want to be using Bluetooth headphones while on a flight. :D

From my own phone, can see that Airplane Mode is on, Bluetooth is connected to my speaker and is playing music. And I will NOT be interrupted by any calls, messages, emails etc. :thumbsupdroid:
View attachment 126156

I do use Do Not Disturb Mode sometimes, for when I'm in a meeting or theatre or something and don't want the phone to make any noises at all, but then I'm usually not listening to music either.

I do indeed know that Bluetooth should operate and should connect independently of whether Airplane Mode is on or off. Not sure where you are going with that statement. What I stated was when Airplane mode is enabled, the car stereo shows the connection to the phone is disconnected and music stops. When I did-able Airplane mode, the car stereo then shows that the connection between the phone and car stereo is re-connected and music play resumes...

So what happens (as stated) is I get in the car, the car stereo makes a connection with the phone via Bluetooth. Music starts playing from the music files on my phone. I enable Airplane mode. The car stereo screen shows that the connection with the phone has dropped. Music stops playing. I disable Airplane mode. The car stereo shows that the connections with the phone has been re-established. Music from my phone starts playing again.

Regarding the Do Not Disturb settings I have in place and have outlined here prior. I should clarify that when I have this enabled the phone by itself never rings or makes a sound when I receive a phone call, text or email message. This happens only when I am connected via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth device for example my car stereo, my Bluetooth sound bar etc. The audio through these devices gets interrupted. The phone itself makes no sound.

ok let me chime in.

tmobile variant. stock, no root.

i enable DND 98% of the time.

music plays without any disturbance from notifications.

i use it in a car. same thing there. streaming music from google play, amazon music, or anything is not interrupted by notifications--be it text, email, weather alerts.

so its possible that DND will kill the notifications. I am proof of this.

OP, what carrier are you on?

then , we just need to get someone else who has the same variant to test.

you had a iphone so im guessing ATT right? (verizon will be the next answer)...

Verizon in my case.

Upvote 0
I do indeed know that Bluetooth should operate and should connect independently of whether Airplane Mode is on or off. Not sure where you are going with that statement. What I stated was when Airplane mode is enabled, the car stereo shows the connection to the phone is disconnected and music stops. When I did-able Airplane mode, the car stereo then shows that the connection between the phone and car stereo is re-connected and music play resumes...

So what happens (as stated) is I get in the car, the car stereo makes a connection with the phone via Bluetooth. Music starts playing from the music files on my phone. I enable Airplane mode. The car stereo screen shows that the connection with the phone has dropped. Music stops playing. I disable Airplane mode. The car stereo shows that the connections with the phone has been re-established. Music from my phone starts playing again.

Quite frankly, that sounds like it might be a problem with the phone you've got, because I know with my Oppo R9 Plus, I can toggle Airplane Mode ON and OFF, and the Bluetooth doesn't disconnect. The only Samsung I've had was a Galaxy Note7, but unfortunately that didn't get too much use.

Upvote 0

Regarding the Do Not Disturb settings I have in place and have outlined here prior. I should clarify that when I have this enabled the phone by itself never rings or makes a sound when I receive a phone call, text or email message. This happens only when I am connected via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth device for example my car stereo, my Bluetooth sound bar etc. The audio through these devices gets interrupted. The phone itself makes no sound.

Verizon in my case.

Have you tried switching Bluetooth back on again after enabling Airplane mode?

If I have WiFi, Mobile data and Bluetooth on then switch Airplane mode on, all three switch off but I can then switch WiFi and Bluetooth back on again and both continue to function with Airplane mode on. It is standard procedure on my HTC devices as detailed in the user guide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones