• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop things from always running?

I am new to the dried and it seems after using anything it continues to run. I have to go in and force stop it. The browser my pics things like that. How do I stop these from running after im done with them?
Manually killing tasks is bad for the system, Android does a good job of managing things if you let it do so. Please read this article to understand how the system works. Also, consider these points:

• Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
  • Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
  • A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
  • Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again.
  • Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
  • Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
  • The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
  • Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting "back" until it closes rather than hitting the "home" button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while.

When you're done with a task, simply tap the back button on the phone. The best practice is to let the system manage itself, it really does a good job.

Upvote 0
I agree with Ardchoile above, however, I will note that you can shut down Global Unplug without it restarting. That's the program that tells you to unplug from the charger or to unplug the charger. It misbehaves on my wife's D2G and never starts back up again once terminated. That seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Upvote 0
What you have said may be correct, but there are rough applications.
that might use up your data connection while running in background
for e.g.
1. Google Maps, you can't control the updates and it is always running.
2. yahoo messenger (you already know prob.)
3. google plus always running and many more

To your point where you mentioned, "Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones