• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how to stop Yahoo mail from marked as read on the server when its synced

gelu88

Lurker
Feb 14, 2010
Hey, i set up my yahoo account on my galaxy with 1.6 and everything is working perfectly, except that when i log in online, all my mail is marked as read.

basically every time the phone goes and gets the new email is marks them as read on the server/webmail.

I primarily check my mail online as opposed to the phone so this is a big problem. i've gone through the settings of both the default mail client as well as K9 and i cant find anything to change this behavior

i have yahoo mail plus and have also looked through the prefrences in my yahoo mail options.

does anyone have an idea on how to use pop mail while keeping unread messages as unread on the server?

Can't comment on the POP issue, but given you're on an Android device with excellent network capabilities but limited storage, you should switch to IMAP.

Since you have Yahoo! Plus that should be free for you, and then your mail will only be marked read when you read it. Plus you'll be able to file, reply, etc. from your phone or the webmail and not have to worry about what you did where -it's all in one place.

Check out my post on how to set up IMAP Yahoo email on Android for details.

Upvote 0
cool thanks for the link.

but for some reason its still not working.

when i setup the incoming settings, it said my username.pass was incorrect, when this was not the case (i redid it over 10 times).

as my password is a bit complex i also changed it to "123456" temporarily, to the same result.

I also did it in K9, also to the same result.

any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones