• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to successfuly calibrate a battery?

Something's been wrong with my phone's battery percentages.

I have my Motorola Droid A855 with the jelly bean rom installed ([Rom] Jellybean for Droid - xda-developers).

Before I purchased a new battery, the one I had was working just fine Until it died. Ever since then, when I tried to recharge it - the phone would show crazy percentages. One moment - 1%, next moment (after a reboot), 50% or so. It kept doing so until the battery Completely died (only works while charging).

I purchased a new battery. Same thing. 1% - reboot - 56%. I Refuse to let this one die to prevent damage.

Within Clockworkmod Recovery, I wiped the battery stats and basically Everything else. Went to re-install the rom and everything. Same thing.

I went back into the Stock rom, and I happen to have a Question Mark appear on the battery icon. Within the Status in the "About Phone" menu, the Battery Status states "Unknown" - Yet, the battery level is at 60%. Wiped the battery stats after installing the new stock rom as well - same thing.

I Know the battery ports / usb port are not loose because my phone Detects a charge (I use a battery widget that detects a charge by changing colors).

With doing research, I estimate that most likely after the original battery died, the phone's battery calibration went out of wack.

The only thing is..I'm unsure how to successfully calibrate the battery. You're supposedly supposed to do it while it's at 100% - yet my phone won't charge my battery.

Also, many have said to wait until the battery completely dies. I'm Scared to do this, as I believe that is the main reason why all of this happened in the first place.

Can someone please tell me how to Successfully calibrate a battery..? I'd truly appreciate it.

The calibration is merely a way to let you know what the battery's state of charge is - it doesn't do anything to the battery. If the battery is doing what you describe, you have a problem with your phone that has to be diagnosed by someone who actually has the phone in his hands. It can't be done by giving you instructions on the internet. (For one thing, you don't have a jig that will allow you to measure the current being drawn from the battery, and you probably don't have a meter to measure it with.)

Bring it in for repair.

Upvote 0
The battery is not the problem. The problem is that my phone states that the battery - Brand new, or old - has an "Unknown Status", and thus shows a question mark on the battery icon.

I can literally charge the battery on a wall charger - however, due to this problem, I cannot charge it through the phone directly.

The battery is fine, the charger is fine, the ports on the phone are fine, the main problem is the unknown battery status.

From articles that I've read, the only thing I could do is calibrate the battery so that the phone will not be confused about it's status.

Also, Idk who I'd send the phone to exactly. It's pretty old, and besides calibrating, Idk how they'd be able to fix this particular problem.

Upvote 0
This is ghetto but get a rubber band wrap it around once .

I don't mind ghetto..Lol..

The battery has to be pushed Upwards, so a rubber band around it won't work..however, I took a piece of my cotton hair curler and stuck that bad boy right on the bottom..works like a charm... :)

Now all I need to do is get apps2sd actually WORKING on this bad boy, and everything will be great..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones