• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to switch over an unlocked AT&T galaxy s5 to verizon towers.

The two S5 models have different radios in them.

I believe that the LTE bands don't quite match up the same in all coverage areas.

The phone will work on most of VZW's channels EXCEPT for where the signals get really weak and drop back to CDMA. If that happens, and no roaming towers are available at that time, you will loose your connection.

The ATT models do not have CDMA capability AFAIK...

But, you should get 3g just about anywhere. If the lack of 4g at times doesn't bother you too bad, you are good to go. Otherwise, see if you can do a trade with someone for their VZW version of the S5.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
The two S5 models have different radios in them.

I believe that the LTE bands don't quite match up the same in all coverage areas.

The phone will work on most of VZW's channels EXCEPT for where the signals get really weak and drop back to CDMA. If that happens, and no roaming towers are available at that time, you will loose your connection.

The ATT models do not have CDMA capability AFAIK...

But, you should get 3g just about anywhere. If the lack of 4g at times doesn't bother you too bad, you are good to go. Otherwise, see if you can do a trade with someone for their VZW version of the S5.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON
Im not getting 3g at all, is there a setting that i am missing?

Upvote 0
Is the phone still on AT&T, or have you already put a VZW sim card in it?

If it has a VZW sim card, go to a Verizon retail store and have them check the APN codes to be sure everything is correct.

Both versions will work on the GSM bands so you should see 3g and 4g in areas where it is available. Not all cell sites are equal in capability to transmit 3g/4g

Upvote 0
Is the phone still on AT&T, or have you already put a VZW sim card in it?

If it has a VZW sim card, go to a Verizon retail store and have them check the APN codes to be sure everything is correct.

Both versions will work on the GSM bands so you should see 3g and 4g in areas where it is available. Not all cell sites are equal in capability to transmit 3g/4g
I have a VZW sim card in there, the guys at the verizon said that it can't work.

Upvote 0
I have a VZW sim card in there, the guys at the verizon said that it can't work.
And they're absolutely correct.

3G on Verizon is a service level on CDMA, not the same as 3G on AT&T or T-Mobile.

The sim card for Verizon can support LTE, and Verizon phones typically have world capability - you can leave the US and use GSM networks.

But you're not going to get a GSM phone working on Verizon - the sim has nothing to do with CDMA, so no 2G or 3G.

Upvote 0
And they're absolutely correct.

3G on Verizon is a service level on CDMA, not the same as 3G on AT&T or T-Mobile.

The sim card for Verizon can support LTE, and Verizon phones typically have world capability - you can leave the US and use GSM networks.

But you're not going to get a GSM phone working on Verizon - the sim has nothing to do with CDMA, so no 2G or 3G.
So basically i cannot use this phone at all with a verizon sim card? And what i'm getting from this is to get a GSM phone in the future.

Upvote 0
So basically i cannot use this phone at all with a verizon sim card? And what i'm getting from this is to get a GSM phone in the future.
You already have a GSM phone.

Get a GSM phone to use on AT&T or T-Mobile, but check to see if the non-carrier version of a phone will match their LTE bands.

Get a Verizon phone to work on Verizon and a Sprint phone to work on Sprint, both of which are CDMA but use different primary frequencies for CDMA and different LTE bands.

You can't use that phone on Verizon regardless of what sim you put in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones