1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How To Switch/Restrict Background Data on ICS

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xxbazhxx, Jun 3, 2012.

1. xxbazhxx

xxbazhxx Member

ok guys

to answer the question as to how you switch off background data on ics.

1. settings-data usage...on Mobile screen switch mobile data on. you will now see Set Mobile Data Limit, click to activate and click OK on pop up, you may now turn mobile data off.

2. On above screen hit menu button you will now be given 3 options Data Roaming-Restrict background data-Show Wi-Fi usage.....tick Restrict background data click OK on pop up.....and your done.

only problem is you now have to live with a white triangle in your notification bar, but if it improves battery life i dont think its too much of an issue

Regards

Baz

Advertisement

ifb-online likes this.
  2. marcjohnson

marcjohnson Well-Known Member

Brilliant, good man.

Quick question, I have an unlimited data plan, is that a daily limit we click to accept or a monthly one?

3. marcjohnson

It don't work, switched it off and could still use Facebook messenger and the app store.

Got the white triangle but it didn't seem to cut it off.

4. xxbazhxx

xxbazhxx Member

Hi Marc

firstly to set your data limit you must click on the graph in data usage and you set upto 5gb Per MONTH..all the limit will do is turn mobile data off once you reach that limit, i too have an unlimited plan but have never got anywhere near 5gb in a month if whoever you do...just switch the limiter off and carry on (but background data will be re-activated).

As i dont use facebook messenger i cant address your issue HOWEVER

Screenshot_2012-06-03-15-41-26.png

as you can see from my pic i cannot connect to playstore even though i have a strong wifi signal (notice my triangle)

may i suggest you retry above method and see if you have any joy.

Regards

Baz

5. PJ147

PJ147 Android Enthusiast

Keep holding up and you can go above 5GB....

6. marcjohnson

Hi mate, for some reason its not happening, I did that before, just tried it again, got the triangle, got the restricted message but it still allows me to open the app store.

Very odd.