1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How to sync email accounts on demand? (lengthy description)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mystvearn, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mystvearn

mystvearn Android Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2010
    MY
    Ok, here is the problem with the SGS2 after 4 months playing with it. I have four different emails which I use the samsung touchwiz feature to keep track of. Yahoo, gmail, hotmail, and Institution pop3/imap mail.

All emails are set on "premium" in the email creation setting (you can see it with the yellow star "P" after your email account. Setting it to premium is better as there are some problems with non-premium syncing options. Should be same for both premium/non-premium but I have no idea why. Premium accounts feature gives the option of pull email where you can set intervals on the device. This feature is neat, but it drains the battery a bit. Since I'm still not on 2.3.4-this is an inherent problem for non-flash models. I'm not sure if the official 2.3.4 is out on Kies yet.

In order to sync the email accounts, I need to actually tap the email account, it goes into the account (with the refreshing indicator at the bottom), press the back button to go to my email accounts, then tap another email account. I then need to repeat this for another 3 accounts since I have 4 accounts. Going to the "all-inbox" accounts on the phone and tap the "refresh" option in the menu does not work for syncing accounts.

As far as I know, there are few shortcut apps to enable background data transfer and auto-sync-but that actually feature actually covers gmail and android market. And yes, for some reason I can access gmail on google's own app and samsung touchwiz. IMHO, gmail mail app is not as good as the samsung's offering.

Does anyone know how to sync emails on demand on the sgs2 without going into each email account, and going back to all accounts, tap another email... (repeat for number of email accounts)? I do not want to use the push/pull premium feature as that uses some battery and I randomly check my mail-when I'm not at the computer

Advertisement

2. ALES

ALES Newbie
    None

May 11, 2010
    A partial answer - if you go into each email account and select "Menu > More > Account Settings > EMail Check Frequency" you can set how often it checks. I have my main account to check ever hour and my others every day

I disabeld my premium emails and set them up as normal accounts as I kept accidentaly deleting emails on the phone which also deleted them on the email server

3. mystvearn

Jun 7, 2010
    MY

That is sort of making a 1 hour pull setting.

I thought if the emails are deleted, they will go to your deleted folder of your email account. You could still retrieve it there. So all is not loss. I also use Pop Peeper for Windows. But in pop peeper, if you delete it-its forever gone

4. leveleyed

leveleyed Lurker
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    How did you disable the premium (push sync) emails and set them up as normal (scheduled sync) accounts? Did you have to actually delete the accounts and re-add them, or is there some other way to change them from premium to normal?

5. mystvearn

Jun 7, 2010
    MY
    1. Make a premium email account in in the socialhub
    2. Go into that premium email acount>click the menu button>more>account settings
    3. Under "Push service common settings there are "sync schedule. while roaming, while power is low"

Change all to manual.

6. leveleyed

leveleyed Lurker
    None

Nov 8, 2011
    I did this, but it doesn't remove the *P* from the account, and it also doesn't allow me to set the pull schedule in the account settings like I can for non-premium accounts.

I should mention that I have the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE phone that AT&T just released (Skyrocket). I wonder if it works differently than the previous model?

7. mystvearn

Jun 7, 2010
    MY

You get the "P when you originally set a premium account. You can't remove it afterwords. If you don't want that "P" make a non-premium account. Settings are meant for premium accounts, not non-premium accounts