1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to sync photos without google photos app?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jungleexplorer, Apr 25, 2016.

1. jungleexplorer

jungleexplorer Android Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2011
    Male
    Life Counselor
    Texas
    Okay, this might seem like a strange question, bare with me. As we all know Google has gone through several ideas trying to figure out a decent online photo management site. First there was Picasa Web Albums. Then there was Google+ Photos. Now there is Google Photos. Back before Google Photos, you could turn on photo syncing in your android device and it would backup your photos to you google account without having to install an additional app. But ever since Google released the Google Photos app, now you have to install that app in order for photo syncing to take place. That does not sound bad, but the problem is that the Google Photos app is a resource hog like no other. On my phone I kept running out of app space and upon investigation, I found that the Google Photos app was consuming close to 500 megabytes of app memory space. I did a data clean up on it and within a week it was back up to 350 MB. I am not sure why the Google Photos app is consuming so much data space, but it does. I don't know what Google was thinking when they designed this app, but to make an app that constantly grows and consumes hundreds of MB of space on a smartphone is beyond stupid.

The simple solution is to uninstall the app, but then my photos will not sync with my google account, even though I have photo syncing turned on under settings. So my question is this; How do I get photos to sync with my google photo storage without the google photos app, in the same way it used to before the google photos app came out?

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    tube517 likes this.
  3. jungleexplorer

Nov 29, 2011
    Male
    Life Counselor
    Texas
    Thanks. I looked at the app and it syncs with google drive, not google photo. Or at least that is what I read. What I don't understand is why you have to have a separate app to do this, when there is an option to do it under SETTINGS. If I go to my google account under settings it gives me the option to SYNC photos with my google account. Why is that option there, if it needs a separate app to do it. In the past it did do this without a separate app.

4. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi again

The large storage used by photos is very likely just a cache of photos saved the cloud in order to minimise access time if you want to look at them. My phone has 412mb used by this at the moment. If you want to, just clear the cache. The photos app will reuse the space if your phone has space but not if it doesn't.

5. jungleexplorer

Nov 29, 2011
    Male
    Life Counselor
    Texas
    When I had the app installed, I cleared the catch several times, but it just fills back up. Who's bright idea was to design an app for a smartphone that would act this way? Crazy!