• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to take zv6 update without breaking root.

Sands207

Android Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2014
Portland,Maine
www.facebook.com
Hey Guys! I no longer have a volt due to the screen being shattered a few weeks back but my girlfriend has one and she is running the zv5 rooted rom and she got the notification to take the zv6 update OTA this morning. I don't know if this is the 4.4.4 update or a lollipop variant but I am just wondering if it will break root or if supersu could use OTA survival to keep it? Does anyone have any info on this update? Appreciate it always guys =)

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...ServiceAdvisory_542_GKB78264-dvc8500001prd#!/

LG firmware updates almost always break root . Whether you can reroot using existing methods is questionable, because they usually patch these methods when they release firmware updates.

The best way to do it would be to pull the update and edit it so it doesn't overwrite your custom recovery.

That way you could flash it in custom recovery and even though it will break root, you can easily reflash the superuser.zip to restore root.

Reactions: Sands207
Upvote 0
Hey Guys! I no longer have a volt due to the screen being shattered a few weeks back but my girlfriend has one and she is running the zv5 rooted rom and she got the notification to take the zv6 update OTA this morning. I don't know if this is the 4.4.4 update or a lollipop variant but I am just wondering if it will break root or if supersu could use OTA survival to keep it? Does anyone have any info on this update? Appreciate it always guys =)

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...ServiceAdvisory_542_GKB78264-dvc8500001prd#!/
Just by plain curiosity what was the update zv6?

Upvote 0
You have to delete it then reboot, but it will stop for a while. Or at least until it downloads again.

From what I saw online the fix was mainly just to fix the stage fright vulnerability. But knowing LG they slip some other junk into it.

Does this update need to be signed to be flashed manually?

Upvote 0
Reactions: ShapeShifter499
Upvote 0
The update package includes the stock recovery and boot images. Flashing it will remove TWRP.

EDIT: So I was wrong in my statement above.

Since I need my phone fully functioning (can't use any CM ROMS since they all break things I need for work, most importantly the camera, I consider the green tint as broken) I don't mind using the stock ROM. I was using the ODEXED ZV5, but restored my fully stock ZV5 backup and then flashed the ZV6 update from TWRP and rebooted.

Then I rebooted again and was able to get back into TWRP, so it didn't get removed by the update.

But root was disrupted (not completely lost). The SuperSU icon gave a message about installing the binary. So I tried flashing it from TWRP and the SuperSU icon disappeared from the apps drawer. I then installed the APK from the SD Card just fine.

Here are before and after screenshots of the software screen.
cSk4EQr.png
YbUT6e9.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was liking the Candy ROM in my "testing". But the broken camera is a no go.

By the way, if anyone cares, I'm not a n00b to hacking just because my post count is low. I'm a very respected member of the Xbox 360 hacking community. I've done research in Microsoft attempts to block xbox 360 hacking, being the first worldwide to discover a MS update's attempt to thwart running unsigned code on a legally hardware modded xbox 360.

Upvote 0
Thing is I kinda want the stagefright fix, I just would like to keep root too. Incoming upgrade.zip upload.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVyik7qZVIQbWpYeWFuZEVHYjQ/view?usp=sharing

The update package includes the stock recovery and boot images. Flashing it will remove TWRP.

EDIT: So I was wrong in my statement above.

Since I need my phone fully functioning (can't use any CM ROMS since they all break things I need for work, most importantly the camera, I consider the green tint as broken) I don't mind using the stock ROM. I was using the ODEXED ZV5, but restored my fully stock ZV5 backup and then flashed the ZV6 update from TWRP and rebooted.

Then I rebooted again and was able to get back into TWRP, so it didn't get removed by the update.

But root was disrupted (not completely lost). The SuperSU icon gave a message about installing the binary. So I tried flashing it from TWRP and the SuperSU icon disappeared from the apps drawer. I then installed the APK from the SD Card just fine.

Here are before and after screenshots of the software screen.
cSk4EQr.png
YbUT6e9.png

OtaconEmmerich, your zip shows a recovery.img which seems contradictory to what charincol said. What does recovery.img do if it doesn't overwrite TWRP?

EDIT: So I poked around and I found this juicy bit in the "updater-script" of the update.zip OtaconEmmerich posted. It seems that the update removes the included recovery.img without writing it into memory, I wonder why. I have yet to get the nag update message from Sprint for ZV6 after reflashing ZV3 from TWRP backup and updating the long way to ZV5 through OTA updates then rooting with the One-Click script. I'll give it a few days then flash the update.zip that was posted here.

ui_print("Removing unneeded files...");
delete("/cache/recovery/recovery.img");
show_progress(0.800000, 0);

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just download the update.zip OtaconEmmerich posted to his Google Drive and extract it.

However, comparing the ZV5 and ZV6 radios in 7-zip, all the files are the same size, so it's unlikely they're different.

EDIT:
OtaconEmmerich, your zip shows a recovery.img which seems contradictory to what charincol said. What does recovery.img do if it doesn't overwrite TWRP?
When I said I wrong, I only meant that TWRP didn't get overwritten, not that there wasn't a recovery.img included. I had already downloaded and peeked inside the archive.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
However, comparing the ZV5 and ZV6 radios in 7-zip, all the files are the same size, so it's unlikely they're different.
Damn. Thanks for checking though.

I believe our phones and a SGS are the only two that do not have internet during a call. With my LG F3 on VM I could Google something during a phone call... I miss that ability.

Upvote 0
Thing is I kinda want the stagefright fix, I just would like to keep root too. Incoming upgrade.zip upload.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzVyik7qZVIQbWpYeWFuZEVHYjQ/view?usp=sharing

Flashed the update from TWRP, thanks OtaconEmmerich for the zip!

Yep, everything on my phone is running without issue.

One Issue in my case...SuperSU still worked however after the reboot TWRP was no longer working. Quick fix just re-flashed by using Flashify and now all is well. Quick Boot now loads straight to TWRP recovery if needed. Root is INTACT after the update, Root Checker verified.

Reactions: NeoZiggy
Upvote 0
Flashed the update from TWRP, thanks OtaconEmmerich for the zip!

One Issue in my case...SuperSU still worked however after the reboot TWRP was no longer working. Quick fix just re-flashed by using Flashify and now all is well. Quick Boot now loads straight to TWRP recovery if needed. Root is INTACT after the update, Root Checker verified.
Here's kinda a stupid question! If we flash the zv6 update zip, can we still flash any ROM Bliss pop or cm12.1 etc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones