1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

How to..(Tasker/Widgets))

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by FanOfAndroid, Jan 3, 2017.

1. FanOfAndroid

FanOfAndroid New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    I wasn't sure where to put this so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

Is there a way to add such a feature where I can press and hold on a widget on the home screen to perform the task rather then simply tapping (using Tasker shortcuts. )

Also, is there a way to add a toggle feature? I tried using the app powertoggle or w/e it's called but I was unsuccessful.

If you are wondering why I want all this...I have created a bunch of widgets on the home screen that are for smart home automation. I have for example "Bedroom (L) - On" and "Bedroom (L) - Off" and a bunch of other smart home widgets on the home screen (2nd and 3rd pages full of smart home widgets.) That's why for my 1st question, I asked for a press and hold feature as I sometimes accidentally tap on a widget and it turns on my AC or lights etc. And for my 2nd question, I don't want 2 widgets thay are on and off just one widget that is both on and off so it's nice, simple and clean.

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

This thread was moved to this sub-forum that is dedicated to discussing Tasker questions. There is a lot of Tasker information here.

For your two questions ...

I personally use Tasker on an un-root-ed device running Nova Launcher Prime. A long press is interpreted by the launcher before Tasker ever sees it ...
    Default - display remove/uninstall options page
    Now - display remove/uninstall options page
    Nova - Tasker widget - display edit/remove/app info/ uninstall options page
    Nova - Tasker app - display edit/remove/app info/ uninstall options page
    ... long press use by the widget/app is not supported.

For a toggle the way to do it is to define a global variable that captures the state. In this example replace the Flash with the command to set the AC ...

demo
    A1: If [ %ACdemo !~ On ]
    A2: Variable Set [ Name:%ACdemo To:On Recurse Variables:Off Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
    A3: Else
    A4: Variable Set [ Name:%ACdemo To:Off Recurse Variables:Off Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
    A5: End If
    A6: Flash [ Text:AC is %ACdemo Long

... Thom

3. FanOfAndroid

FanOfAndroid New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    So is at least double tap or something else supported?

4. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Double tap ... the first tap launches it.

The solution is to use Tasker global variables and code the two actions in one

... Thom

5. FanOfAndroid

FanOfAndroid New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    How about this...do you know if there is an app or a way to put widgets in a folder?

I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Nova Launcher Prime supports that.

Create the group in the App Drawer ... fill it with shat you like ... long press on the group and position it on the home page where you want it.

Tap once opens the group. Tap the icon in the group to launch.

You can also tap the group in the app drawer ... it will open ... tap the icon you want to launch.

... Thom

7. FanOfAndroid

FanOfAndroid New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Male
    Heh. Using Nova Launcher. I think I remembered adding widgets before on a folder but forgot.

Thanks for your help.

8. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    It will work for the icon of any app that is installed on the device.

If the icon is for a Tasker task that is defined on the phone you can simply drag the icon to another Tasker task icon on the home screen and they will merge into a group.

If the icon in question is for a widget then I know of no way in Nova Launcher Prime to add it to a group in either the app drawer or the home screen.

... Thom