• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to tell if a phone is used

I bought a samsung galaxy s2 on ebay. It was sold as new and I'm wondering if there is any way to tell? On some old phones there wasa menu option to tell usage history, is there one on this phone?
I don't believe there is a way. You might be able to go to an AT&T store and give them the IMEI. They SHOULD be able to tell you when (or if) it had been activated. If it was activated then it isn't truly new. Problem is, lots of eBay sellers cheat very heavily on the word "new" on anything. New to some of these sellers is "I've had it for 4 months and barely used it so it is new."

I just bought one myself today off eBay that is supposedly "new." I never trust "new" but considering I paid $475 minus $30 in "eBay bucks" and no shipping it beats AT&T $550 price + tax by $150. I've had good luck on eBay over the years.

Upvote 0
I bought a samsung galaxy s2 on ebay. It was sold as new and I'm wondering if there is any way to tell? On some old phones there wasa menu option to tell usage history, is there one on this phone?
maybe, but i just checked and it is more for data statistics, but *#*#info#*#* (*#*#4636#*#*) may help.

your usage may have already made it difficult to tell.

Upvote 0
maybe, but i just checked and it is more for data statistics, but *#*#info#*#* (*#*#4636#*#*) may help.

your usage may have already made it difficult to tell.

I haven't used it, I'm going to be selling it (I bought it and in the interim we switched to Sprint and then I finally got it) and don't want to advertise it as new if it is used (even if the previous seller did so).

I tried doing that and nothing came up. Guess I'll just list it as new. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I bought mine through AT&T upgrade and was wondering if a tech or someone was playing around with it before it was shipped to me. It was shipped from AT&T in the Dallas area, the SIM card was already in the phone, there was a Dallas area city in the weather app, when I went to Homedepot.com a Dallas area city was the my store location and there was already something in the shopping cart. So maybe you can check popular website stores to see if the my store locations have already been chosen by someone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones