1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to Temp Root Only DHD 2.3.3 without having to downgrade?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dementor101, Aug 20, 2011.

1. dementor101

dementor101 Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Hi! I am kinda new here and just recently got my DHD. I like my phone a lot buy I am bothered by the phone's battery life ranging only for about a 1 day with normal usage. A friend suggested that I should use some custom mode but that would be changing the whole OS. I don't want to change my original OS. So my friend suggested that I just root my phone and then I can tweak it to save on battery. My problem is that there are a lot of complicated ways of rooting DHD and I don't know where to start. Moreover, some of the rooting steps are quite risky and might erase my data or kill my phone. I just want to know if there is some way to only temporarily root my phone with android 2.3.3 without having to downgrade? So that I can unroot it on a later time just to be safe.

I know this might be asking too much or may not be possible, but it wouldn't hurt asking.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Welcome to the forums! :)

Unfortunately, there is no way to do what you've suggested. Whilst you can technically temp root 2.3.3, it is very limited, and only via the command prompt. It also disappears after a reboot too.

I know the entire process seems daunting, but it's not actually that difficult and there will be plenty of people on here who are willing to assist should you decide to go for it.

3. dementor101

dementor101 Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2011
    Hi! Thanks for the reply!:D

How limited is the temp root that you are referring to? The thing is, I only wanted to improve the battery life of my phone. Do you think this technically temp root is gonna help?:thinking:

On the other hand, I am highly considering permanently rooting my phone, and even putting a mod in it...:rolleyes: Because a friend of mine is already boasting his GalaxySII lasting for an average of 3 days without charging...:mad:

My problem is that, google is so bloated with rooting instructions that I am not sure if it's the latest since some of them dated back in 2010, some of them uses different apps like Visionary, SuperOneClick, Gingerbreak, etc., and not even sure if they are compatible with my phone. I just recently bought my phone and updated it with the latest original android 2.3.3, and I just might end up with the wrong method.

Do you have any link to recent instructions compatible with my phone that would help me backup my original android OS with HTC sense (so that I could still claim my warranty if ever needed), perm root my phone, and install a mod (that is as much as possible very similar to android 2.3.3 with HTC sense or do you have any recommendations?) that would ultimately help my phone perform better and last longer?

Thanks again! :)

4. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No probs! :)

It's limited in that you can use it to force your phone to accept a file to downgrade to a version that is permanently rootable. With one of the methods, I believe you can also install an app called Titanium Backup which will allow you to backup your apps and data.

If your friend is hardly using the SGS2, then it probably will last for 3 days. On moderate use, I can get about 2 days out of my DHD. I am using a custom ROM, but even when using the official software, I was getting roughly the same.

There's a guide to the downgrade & root process here and there are some instructions on installing 2 of the more popular Sense based ROMs here.

If you don't fancy rooting and want more out of the battery, turn off autosync, turn down brightness (mine is currently set at 45%), change the WiFi sleep policy, Disable Always on Mobile Data etc. Roughly what do you get at the moment and what is your usage?

BTW, even when rooted, if something goes wrong, it is relatively easy to get your phone back to the way it was before hand.

5. Alistair08

Alistair08 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Hi,
    Im new to all of this :p
    Ive just tryed the link to downgrade and temp root but its not working,
    Ive got 2.3.3 on my desire HD,

Any tips?

6. Alistair08

Alistair08 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    i clicked on the first link to try rooting it

7. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
  8. Raymond_Ebertt

None

Jul 29, 2011
  9. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The bundled drivers in the Hack Kit or the drivers that come with HTC Sync? You can install HTC Sync of it's own accord, then uninstall leaving the drivers on your system.

Alternatively, you could use the Ubuntu Live CD? That gives the best results apparently.

10. CDPlant

CDPlant Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Essex, UK
    Have you tried to run it as administrator? Often causes problems if you don't