• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to tether phone internet connection to computer

I hope this a sensible place to ask this question: I am going away for one week. There'll be no access to wireless hotspots etc, but I hope I'll have a phone signal most of the time. I will need to access the internet with my computer (rather than just the phone) whilst I am away.

I was thinking of getting one of those usb dongle things to connect the computer, but then got to thinking that I have an unlimited data plan on my phone - and so I wonder if there is a way to use this connection for my laptop.

If anyone can give me any step-by-step instructions on how to do it, I'd be very grateful (either that, or tell me it just won't work!)
Thanks for being here.

Thanks for this. It all started so well... I connected the phone, and chose the option to share the phone's internet connection. Windows 'found new hardware ' called 'Android phone' (that seemed full of promise) but failed to find anything it needed. Eventually I got a 'your new hardware might not work correctly' message, and I can't get any further.

I realise this is beyond the scope of the android forum, but if anyone knows what I could do before giving up, I'd be grateful.

If Bill G had a dollar for every time someone's Windows installation didn't work properly... oh wait - he does.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones