1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to track down a possibly stolen phone?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by PolarBlue, Jan 11, 2016.

1. PolarBlue

PolarBlue Newbie

I sold a phone on ebay about a month ago and the tracking info stopped a week later in New York on its way overseas. No updates, and the buyer wants to know where it is.

I took a picture of the IMEI number on the outside of the box and posted it in the auction. If someone intercepted the phone (due to customs the contents were named on the postage label...easy target), could I find out if someone's using it and where they are?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Understand what you're trying to do here but posting an IMEI in a public forum is not the best idea. I'd take that down or at least obscure the image.
    And unless you had a tracking app installed on the device there is probably no way to track it. If it was for a specific carrier you could alert them so they blacklist the IMEI but that's about it.

scary alien likes this.
  3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

I don't know anything about it, but I asked google "how to find a lost phone by IMEI" and it came up with several links

Click steps 1,2,3 here
    http://techniciandiary.com/how-to-find-a-lost-stolen-cell-phone-using-imei-number/

Also more here
    http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-2585622/track-lost-phone-imei-number.html

... and a lot more.

From what I gathered from a quick skim there's not much you can do on your own. Talk to the police or the carrier where you think the phone might be used (good luck figuring that out).

scary alien likes this.
  4. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

How long has it been in New York? It can take days, possibly a week, to get through customs and get on its way. Then it has to get into the foreign postal system. So it can seem to go missing for a week or more.

scary alien likes this.
  5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

If it's being tracked, surely contacting the delivery company would be your best bet?

(Also removed the IMEI Info) :)

scary alien likes this.
  6. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Once the phone is powered OFF, there is "no way possible" to track the phone.
    OFF, is just that OFF.

Also, if it is not registered to a carrier and "in service", there is no way to wake it up and track it.

Your freight provider is the best you can do...

My daughter buys a lot of stuff from Hong Kong and other Asian countries. Some of it takes 6 to 8 weeks to get here in Oklahoma.... we have a tracking number, but it never gives us any useful info. It just says "Shipped on 1/1/1111" and when you see it in the mailbox, "oh, there it is".

I suspect that your phone, will show up somewhere in about 6 weeks from when it was shipped.

scary alien, tube517 and James L like this.
  7. PolarBlue

PolarBlue Newbie

It arrived in New York on 12/19 and that's the last of the tracking info. This is actually going to Argentina; the one I sent to Ireland on the same day arrived 2 weeks ago.