• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to transfer app data to another device?

Leo1966

Jan 22, 2015
Hi everyone,
I suppose this question must have been asked already but I could not find the answer. Is there a way to transfer application data from one Android device to another? I am aware of the Backup Application Data menu. I tried it but it did not transfer the app data from my old device to the new one. I suppose, each device is backed up separately. Is there a way then to transfer app data between different devices?

Sometimes it can all depend on what the particular developer has done. If they've done their job correctly, you should be able to do it via Backup Application Data, via Google, or transfer it directly from one phone to another. If you can't and it's important, might be worth emailing the developer, and see what they have to say about it.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
To add to what mikedt said, one of the changes in Marshmallow 6.0 is the capabilities of Backup Application Data been greatly expanded. But developers must enable it in their apps. Google cannot do it for them.

Another way to transfer app data is many apps have a built-in backup/restore function which creates a backup file that can be copied over.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones