• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root {HOW TO}Transfer between phones.

andrizoid

Android Expert
Mar 25, 2010
So in the last few days, Ive gone through 4 replacement Eri. Throughout the process Ive figured out a pretty easy way to swap between phones without losing anything.

1. Take a Nandroid Backup of your current setup and give it a destinct name-remember not to use spaces!
  2. Wipe your phone and if you want to revert back to stock before returning your phone, do this now. It can be accomplished two ways
    a. PB00IMG.zip. aka Leak 2.1.3-Dowload this file to the root of your sdcard, boot to hboot (volume down + power)
    If you get an error about the main version being older, dont worry, try the next method
    b. Download this rom http://surrette.org/roms/Retro1-v1.zip and when you boot, check for system updates and allow them to install​
  3. Transfer your sdcard to your new phone
  4. Boot up your new phone and sign into your google account
  5. Download and install Astro from the market
  6. Download this app and install it on your phone http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html
  7. Once its installed, run the app
  8. After clicking agree, reboot your phone
  9. Once you boot up, turn your phone back off
  10. Boot to recovery (volume up + power)
  11. Create a Nandroid Backup
  12. Reboot your phone
  13. Use astro to navigate to /sdcard/nandroid
  14. There should be two folders here. Look in both of them for the folder containing your original backup
  15. Move that whole folder containing your backup to the other folder.
  16. Reboot to recovery
  17. Go to Restore a backup and restore your original backup!

This is actually a really quick process. I live about 10 minutes from a Verizon store and by following this method, im already back to my original setup before i get back to the house.

Four phones in a matter of days? Remind me never to take you to Vegas with me.

1. crazy reboots and killed my sdcard (wiped it) about 5 or 6 times
few days pass and i get a new one
2. starting rebooting over and over and wouldnt stop before i got 3 blocks from the store.
few minutes pass and i got a new one
3. as soon as i got home, my phone started playing music-no app was open, the phone was across the room just sitting there, and it wasnt any music that i had. i had to pull the battery to get it to stop-this is after 2 wipes and a /system and /data format
next morning i get my phone from customer service with free overnight shipping
4. so far so good!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones