1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to Troubleshoot random restarts,etc?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by foreverloved, Apr 20, 2011.

1. foreverloved

foreverloved Lurker
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I'm having some issues with my new droidx and I'm a new smartphone owner so I need some help figuring out what is going on... I've noticed that on the market people always make statements like "this slows down my phone" or "causing my phone to crash". Are they just guessing that is the app that is causing the issue or is there some diagnostic tool I'm unaware of that would tell which apps are causing issues?

My phone has been seeming to freeze up and restart at least once a day and it seems to me like it doesn't have enough CPU power. Like yesterday I got in the car, put it in the dock, opened up google maps and pressed the home key a few seconds later to check something else and it completely froze and restarted. At first I thought it was an app I have for a food diary that syncs to a website because lots of people have been complaining about phone issues on the review so I haven't been using that app at all for several days and it's not running in the background but I'm still having that issue. I'm also getting a lot of lag time when turning on and off the display, sometimes I have to wait 10-15 sec for the display to turn on after pressing the button.

It also tends to get very hot to the touch on occasion. Usually when I'm just streaming music on Pandora and not touching it.

I'd rather try to figure out if there's an issue I can fix before trying to hassle with sending it back but if these issues are not normal at all maybe I should?

Advertisement

2. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    Finger Lakes, New York
    One approach to take would be to remove all of the apps you downloaded and stay with the truly stock DX for a little while. Then you can see if the phone is defective or if there is a bad app on your phone. Then slowly add back apps over a period of days so you can try to identify any unstable apps. If the phone misbehaves even with no apps you added, then maybe the phone is bad. A couple of other things - I find that the phone is more stable if it has no programs loaded on the SD card. Also, try it without any launcher loaded, other than the stock launcher.

3. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    ever since the update, google maps has occasionally been causing restarts on my phone too, or is just finicky in general. I believe that's the culprit in this case.

4. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    We're having the same issue with random restarts - but it's not in maps - and not very consistent. Phone isn't quite a year old.

5. steve4294

steve4294 Newbie
    None

Sep 15, 2010
    +1

6. serpa4

serpa4 Android Expert
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Army
    +2

7. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    Eurosteve has the best idea. I suggest that you factory reset your phone and go into settings-privacy-and uncheck Backup my data and auto restore. Now you are on a completely new slate. Do what Eurosteve says about running with nothing on the phone to see if you get a random reboot. If not, begin adding apps back slowly. This will narrow down the problem app.