• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to turn off Android system update notifications

KC13

Oct 25, 2011
Ottawa
I like my phone exactly the way it is. I DO NOT like the way 5.0.1 looks from all the postings I have seen online. My phone keeps notifying me about the available 5.0.1 update and I'm offered options to be notified from 30 min to 4 hours later but no option not to be notified again. Is this possible? I do not want 5.0.1!!!

Those of us with root access how will the update affect us? I am fully rooted with S-Off with 4.4.4.
Don't take it.

It's likely to not want to install because your firmware is not what it expects - and many phones or roots get horribly screwed up in the attempt.

There's likely to be a root-flashable version of your update within a day of it coming out - if not hours or minutes.

Grab that, flash that - if you want it.

Reactions: ChadWilliam1
Upvote 0
Dear ******

Thank you for kindly providing the required information.

It is not possible to turn off the update notification off, you would have to install the sofware update. This being said, please let me know if you are having any particular issues to install the update.

Have a nice day.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

William

HTC

Upvote 0
To stop notifications without rooting!

To anyone still looking for a solution to this and doesn't want to root. Download Package Disabler Pro from the Play store ($2.98). For TMobile phones, search for "com.wssyncmldn". Click Disable. That's it.

I don't know if this will prevent your phone from pre-downloading the update but it at least stops the notifications.

Upvote 0
This is what worked on my l70
No root needed!
dail 277634#*#
A system menue will show up
go to WLAN Test / OTA setting, select disable.
Reboot
Done!

How ever-
If you cant access this menue, but do have root, you can still fix this:
Start by using root explorer move these files to a different location (make a bacup folder on cdcard)
\ sbin \ lge_fota
\ sbin \ lge_fota_launcher
\ sbin \ lge_gota_launcher

Then , Settings -> App -> Google Services Framework -> Force Close -> Clear Cache -> Clear Data Subscriptions
Reboot
Done!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones