• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to turn on and off LTE

I noticed at least out by me, the x1 for it is horrible like 20 kb, vs when I tested optimus was about 130kb. On LTE i'm at the low point of reception only getting max 2 mb.

I think it's specific to your georgaphy. Just a few hours ago I turned LTE off and ran a speedtest with speedtest.net app on 1x. I was getting ~120-130 Kb down.

Upvote 0
Yeah that's why i said "at least by me" lol. I also have like 1-2 bars of reception. My area is notorious for having poor reception. There's only 2 cell providers that even get coverage, and one is metro lol. Verizon is the other. So AT&T, t-mobile, and sprint are useless in a major metropolitan area right near SF how sad eh? lol

Which part of the bay are you in? I'm kind of in the same neighborhood, as you are and I've got one more cell phone with T-Mobile. Works like a champ. Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, they all have coverage here. Well, AT&T's coverage in SF & NY cities is notoriously crappy, but that's just the city though...

Upvote 0
I'm literally next to SF, i'm in San Bruno. On top of the hill where i'm at lol there's only 2 providers that work. The other providers are so shitty that inside a house you get zero reception. When i'm talkin 1-2 bars, i'm talking in the lower lvl of my house. Outside i get full bars. Even still our LTE isn't anywhere near Florida's. I was mad in fact because SF was the 6th market to get LTE. South and east of US got there's first. So i'd say two best areas is Texas and Florida. Texas because that's where Metro PCS headquarters is, so big surprise there.

Upvote 0
I'm literally next to SF, i'm in San Bruno. On top of the hill where i'm at lol there's only 2 providers that work. The other providers are so shitty that inside a house you get zero reception. When i'm talkin 1-2 bars, i'm talking in the lower lvl of my house. Outside i get full bars. Even still our LTE isn't anywhere near Florida's. I was mad in fact because SF was the 6th market to get LTE. South and east of US got there's first. So i'd say two best areas is Texas and Florida. Texas because that's where Metro PCS headquarters is, so big surprise there.

Silvist: I'm a few miles north-north-west from where you are - a bit down the hill and kind of towards the coast, and I'm getting 5 bras excellent signal on my T-Mobile HSPA+ (3.5G). I average 2 bars on Metro 4G LTE. My next door neighbor is on AT&T. While I don't know how many bars he's getting, I never hear him complain about the coverage. So, maybe you're just so unlucky to be in one of those dead spots. When I take I-280 South, I get dropped calls on both of my phones (but metro, of course, is the worst)

Upvote 0
K found yet another item that's called GSM/UMTS options. Has use only 2G networks on it, but its greyed out. As in the had it on the phone, but yet hide it from users, what bs. And its still unusable cause its greyed out. Unfortunately my first idea with the LTE development short cut works, but not as well. Like if you disable LTE it'll "disable" it at the point in time, but I think there's a setting somewhere that forces it to keep searching. Yah the stupid feature which kills are battery. So far I found no way to perm disable it. So almost like end tasking stuff, that's how i'm using the LTE testing thing right now.

i have tested this for a good five hours now and it has not once forced back on 4g and i have not noticed any program searching for the 4g coverage either and me and my friend both have it running on our indulge's and same goes for his.

how it appears to be working is if you are in a 4g market and your phone is in 4g coverage and you turn lte off it will stay off.

but if your in a iffy market and your going in and out of 4g and you turn the 4g off while it happens to be in 1x yes it will come back on into 4g.

i was at the bowling alley and it was going from 4g to 1x so i just turned lte off while it was in that 1x state and yes it did go back into 4g but i simply turned it off again once it was in 4g and it has not come back on yet.

Im going to leave lte off and the phone in the 1x state all night and i will report in the morning if it ever switched back to 4g or if it stays in that 1x state but i believe i got it figured out though im pretty sure it will stay in that 1x state

Reactions: MikesTooLz
Upvote 0
i have tested this for a good five hours now and it has not once forced back on 4g and i have not noticed any program searching for the 4g coverage either and me and my friend both have it running on our indulge's and same goes for his.

how it appears to be working is if you are in a 4g market and your phone is in 4g coverage and you turn lte off it will stay off.

but if your in a iffy market and your going in and out of 4g and you turn the 4g off while it happens to be in 1x yes it will come back on into 4g.

i was at the bowling alley and it was going from 4g to 1x so i just turned lte off while it was in that 1x state and yes it did go back into 4g but i simply turned it off again once it was in 4g and it has not come back on yet.

Im going to leave lte off and the phone in the 1x state all night and i will report in the morning if it ever switched back to 4g or if it stays in that 1x state but i believe i got it figured out though im pretty sure it will stay in that 1x state

OK MY RESULTS

it does not have to be a strong 4g market it can be a market where you go in and out of 4g what it is, is this when you switch 4g lte off at that current moment that your turning it off it does have to be in a strong 4g signal with the 4g icon displayed on your phone it can not be flickering between 1x and 4g you want to make sure 4g is displayed when you turn off

and on keeping it disabled to save battery power i will be testing that today and i will return this evening with that iinfo as well.

and to answer what i put up last night before i went to bed

I turned 4g off and when i woke up this morning it was on 1x still and i do have auto sync on so my data on multiple apps are connecting and yes you still have all your data synced on 1x and everything is still pushed to your phone

***UPDATE***

Also i found out that when you turn 4g off it will stay off but if you receive a phone call it turns the 4g/1x radio's off and when you hang up that phone call and it turns the radio's back on it will sit in 1x for a few seconds and then turn the 4g on automatically so you do have to go back in and turn 4g off after a phone call

Upvote 0
OK MY RESULTS

***UPDATE***

Also i found out that when you turn 4g off it will stay off but if you receive a phone call it turns the 4g/1x radio's off and when you hang up that phone call and it turns the radio's back on it will sit in 1x for a few seconds and then turn the 4g on automatically so you do have to go back in and turn 4g off after a phone call

I hope to be able to move to a custom ROM at some point, where it doesn't turn the LTE radio off when receiving a phone call... :(

Upvote 0
I hope to be able to move to a custom ROM at some point, where it doesn't turn the LTE radio off when receiving a phone call... :(

YES that would be nice because if we prevent the Radio's from turning off then the problem is fixed also we would be able to surf on 4g and talk on cdma

So far i have discovered that making or receiving a phone call will turn 4g back on but thats the only event i found this far that does that.

the other reason 4g comes back on so far appears to be owner error you just got to make sure your in 4g coverage when you turn lte off

it really isint a bother to me i just made the shortcut on my home screen and click it then click lte off and bam it goes off and still staying off

i think people have not tested this extensively yet to realize this

also when texting it does not affect the 4g off/on state it stays where you have it set and when browsing the net on 1x it stays in 1x also

QUESTION: Does anyone think it would be possible to extract the Lte on / Lte off functions from anycut in order to use them to create a simple dedicated 4g off/on toggle button like other 4g phones came with stock

Upvote 0
YES that would be nice because if we prevent the Radio's from turning off then the problem is fixed also we would be able to surf on 4g and talk on cdma

So far i have discovered that making or receiving a phone call will turn 4g back on but thats the only event i found this far that does that.

the other reason 4g comes back on so far appears to be owner error you just got to make sure your in 4g coverage when you turn lte off

it really isint a bother to me i just made the shortcut on my home screen and click it then click lte off and bam it goes off and still staying off

i think people have not tested this extensively yet to realize this

also when texting it does not affect the 4g off/on state it stays where you have it set and when browsing the net on 1x it stays in 1x also

QUESTION: Does anyone think it would be possible to extract the Lte on / Lte off functions from anycut in order to use them to create a simple dedicated 4g off/on toggle button like other 4g phones came with stock

what for? any cut puts a direct shortcut to that function on your home screen. isn't it the same thing?

Upvote 0
what for? any cut puts a direct shortcut to that function on your home screen. isn't it the same thing?

i know but i think for all the beginners it would be safer not to give access to critical files that can brick the phone

and for me personally i rather have a app on my screen that just turns off and on rather then going in deeper into it with all the other options

By the way its now been alittle over eight hours total since my full charge and i have only done about 2 hours worth of mixed usuage on the phone the battery is currently at 52% so i lost 48% in the last eight hours

Upvote 0
i know but i think for all the beginners it would be safer not to give access to critical files that can brick the phone

and for me personally i rather have a app on my screen that just turns off and on rather then going in deeper into it with all the other options

By the way its now been alittle over eight hours total since my full charge and i have only done about 2 hours worth of mixed usuage on the phone the battery is currently at 52% so i lost 48% in the last eight hours

wow! that's great results! you must be in an area with good coverage?

Upvote 0
well its now been eleven hours i would say

i have only about 3 hours worth of total mixed use with about one hour of that on 4g and the rest on 1x and my battery is currently at 40%

I dont know how long it will keep going but i would estimate about 20 hours with no use

maybe 10 or so hours with light to moderate use (more than 3 hours of use)

extremely light use 15 hours thats what i did today extremely light use

heavy use though it would still be a battery hog

Also im in Hayward right across the San Mateo bridge about 45 minutes south/east of San Francisco Ca

Upvote 0
When I turn LTE off, I never get a 1x signal. In order to send or recieve any data at all I have to turn LTE back on. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Not here when i turn LTE off it takes about 5-10 seconds to switch between radios and the 1x pops up also the same in reverse turn LTE on and 5-10 seconds later it turns on and 4g symbol pops up

Upvote 0
hey, Silvist, Baysider and everyone else in sfbay: I'm assuming we're all having this "either talk or surf" instead of both talk and surf the web at the same time, right? The moment I'm making or receiving a phone call, 4G icon disappears and the Internet is put "on hold" like in the good old CDMA/EVDO days. Someone else from a different area said it wasn't the case for them...

Upvote 0
Yeah, I noticed the exact same stuff Nick. We were the last market to receive LTE out of the big markets. So ours is still not yet finished. Supposedly there's like 400/950 towers with LTE. But it feels like the software isn't running like it should either. Basically south and east got LTE before us, Las vegas was like 2nd, and course LA. Still think its lame they just launched Las Vegas for basic coverage, and then they suddenly make it LTE. Another lame thing SUPPOSEDLY is because of Silicon valley in SJ, were supposed to be wired for the best data transfer speed. But so far we get the lowest lol. I swear my market is full of idiots, including the higher ups.

Upvote 0
hey, Silvist, Baysider and everyone else in sfbay: I'm assuming we're all having this "either talk or surf" instead of both talk and surf the web at the same time, right? The moment I'm making or receiving a phone call, 4G icon disappears and the Internet is put "on hold" like in the good old CDMA/EVDO days. Someone else from a different area said it wasn't the case for them...

every time i swear every time i make a phone call my 4g or 1x what ever im on shuts off and no voice/data at the same time there different radios and that bugs me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones