• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help how to turn the flash off in droid x (2.2)

roc97007

Lurker
Sep 18, 2010
This is probably a stupid question. I have a Droid X running Froyo. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the flash in the camera application. The shots I am trying to take are low light but far enough away that a flash is not going to help anyway, and it's a huge distraction.

I've gone through the settings carefully, and there is no "flash" setting. If you touch the left side of the screen, a "flash" button comes up on the right, but touching that gives you "Flash adjustments not allowed in this scene". ("Scene"??) I have not found a combination of settings that will make the "flash" button do anything useful. It's like it's just a joke button. Google searches for that exact phrase turn up zero results. This forum shows how to find the flash settings in "settings", but there is no such control on my phone. Help?

What scene won't let you turn off the flash? I suppose that scene is hardcoded for a flash. Why not just use a different scene that's not?

I know Steady Shot won't let you turn the flash off, it has to stay in automatic. But yeah, if I want to take a pic without the flash, I just switch from Steady Shot to Automatic and turn the flash off. Kind of a pain, but I don't have to do it often, so I'll live.

Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, the only scene that will let you turn off the flash is Automatic, which is a bit counter-intuitive. (My two Nikon bodies, for instance, are the opposite -- you have full control of the flash in every mode *except* Automatic.) What I want is full manual control, and there doesn't seem to be any way of achieving that. Maybe a different camera app?

Upvote 0
PB, you need to stop comparing Android to Apple. The latter is a closed system that is maximized to their whims and wants. Android is much more of a bare bones architecture that allows users to search the market and make customizations to their phones such that they are uniquely theirs. To that end, and back on thread, there are MANY great camera apps out there. As I previously mentioned, Vignette (the paid version and why not pay a developer if you can spare a dime) is terrific. It has many wonderful options and adjustments to photograph, both before, during and after the snapshot. I can't recommend it enough. However, you may also want to try out Camera Zoom FX and Camera 360. Some good reviews there also.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones