• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [How-To]Un-Root your Droid X

HalfFrozen

Android Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2010
AZ
Just looking at helping people with a combination of threads from other forums to help users un-root.

Apps I am using, and if you don't mind spending some money.
(Let me say this, this made it so far beyond easy to reinstall system apps AS system apps, that I just took the jump to buy them)

Reactions: vfnewman
For people who are lazy and don't like clicking links...

Un-rooting the Droid X
I have just successfully rooted and unrooted my droidx i had to leave work so i can't do a write up but i have been able to remove su busybox and superuser.apk from my phone and it's not a brick :) keep in mind while root i did not remove and bloatware just installed wifi tether

I hope to have the instructions up soon

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

* update *
here are the instructions for unrooting the droidx enjoy and dont blame me if you get a $700 paperweight but this worked just fine for me i will try and do a video of the whole process if i need to for any non believers

i am not to blame if you brick your phone by trying this but i just did all the steps again and everythign worked out just fine for me now i had not removed any apks from the phone only installed wifi tether

okay to un root you device you need to go back to the folder where you droidxroot files normally
for me this was c:\droidxroot_v2
then do follow some steps from the root process

Run "adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid"
Run "adb shell"
Run "cd sqlite_stmt_journals"
Run "chmod 755 exploid"
On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
Run "./exploid" and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you'll be back at a shell prompt.
Run "rootshell". You'll be prompted for a password.
Type in password "secretlol" and press Enter then you are root! (You'll know because your prompt will now be a "#" instead of "$")

now this is were things change instead of copying the files we will remove them

rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/bin/busybox

finally remove the rootshell

rm /system/bin/rootshell
reboot

now keep in mind i did not remove and bloatware apps please try and too a wipe before attempting this if you removed bloatware to ensure it will come back as it should.

Installing systems apps back as system apps
I deleted a few system apps (all the social stuff, corp directory, email, etc). In a thread on DroidXForums (this one on the unrooting procedure) someone mentioned that they could not get the .604 update without some of the bloatware. Of course, this freaked me out a bit as I would certainly like to get Froyo when it comes out. So, I went about trying to reinstall the stuff I'd uninstalled. The system dump with all the default apps is here, and below is the procedure to get what you're missing reinstalled and visible as system apps. I used Root Manager but the same procedure should work for Root Explorer. If you prefer ADB I'm sure one of the more competent terminalists here can help you.

-Place the apk(s) of the apps on your sdcard.

-Use your chosen means to copy the apk(s) to /system/app (this will require making /system/app writable. In Root Manager just press the R/W key when you're exploring /system/app).

-Click on the apk once it's in /system/app and install it.

-Now, you've installed the program, but the system won't see it as a system app unless you change it's permissions. In Root Manager, long press on the app (in /system/app) and click on "permissions". Then make sure that only the following boxes are clicked: User Read, User Write, Group Read, Others Read.

-Make sure you make /system/app read only again by clicking that box in the top right while you're exploring the folder.

-Reboot phone.

Now the apps should be loaded and the system should recognize them as system apps (you can verify by opening Titanium and noticing they're in red). This should make you good to go for whatever OTA comes. If you're unsure which apks in the system dump correspond to the apps you've deleted, just explore your /system/app and compare it to the system dump app list. Any apks in the dump but not in yours are what you're looking for.

And here is the list of all system apps.
a

b

c

d

e

f

g

h

i

j

k

l

m

n

o

p

q

r

s

t

u

v

w

x

y

z

Upvote 0
Didn't we overwrite the orignal su? Doesn't that have to be put back?

Why don't people just install superuser.apk from market or sd? That way it is registered properly vs droping it in behind the scenes?

The Original SU???

If there was a SU why would we not use it??

I am sure someone else could tell you a more in depth explanation, but, I am sure there is ALOT more to it then just DLing from the market.

Upvote 0
Well the su we installed asks superuser.apk for permission. They are a matched pair from xda. We need both. Im wondering about the stock android su.

If it isn't in a "What you will need for un-rooting" guide, I am guessing it is still there then?? The SuperUser.apk file is just slipping through cracks of the security for the stock SU to be used by the end user.

You know take what I am saying about all this SU stuff with a grain of salt, I mean, I may be right, but also, I am not a knowledgeable person when it comes to this kind of Android talk. lol

I was just trying to post a guide to help kids out.. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones