• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to uninstall unused apps S4

A

AnotherS4

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 from Tesco Mobile in Ireland.
It keeps updating apps I don't use like WatchON, ChatON, Group Play.
If I drag the icon to the trash can it's still there afterwards.
I tried uninstall but that only uninstalls updates, not the whole app.
How can I declutter the phone?
I don't know about "rooting" and suspect I don't want to know :)

Thanks
Patrick

Hi Patrick, welcome to Android Forums. :)

I get the same on my HTC. It's forever updating apps I have absolutely no use or interest in. Fortunately, there is a solution that won't resort to rooting.

If the apps are the inbuilt 'bloatware' apps that most phones get, then the only surefire way to get rid of them is to root the phone. That being said, there are some apps that may negatively impact some of the phone's functions if they are removed, so yes, let's not worry about rooting for the moment!

However, if you go to settings, then your apps list, you will have a complete list of all the apps installed on your device. From there you can disable the apps to stop them from interacting with you. Best to force close them first though, then disable, then clear cache and data if needs be. On my HTC, that has stopped the apps from auto-updating.

I've also installed Nova Prime launcher on the device from Google Play Store too so I can even hide the existence of the apps in the app drawer. Might be work a look too possibly?

Always worth considering registering on here too as we're a friendly bunch and you'll find a whole wealth of info in the forum dedicated to your exact phone. The link to register is in my signature below.

I hope you get it sorted. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones