• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Unlock (and Root) the Bell Galaxy S2. Step by Step Guide

Thanks for a great tutorial! I just updated my phone to XXKH3, and then rooted it. However, when I was using KG2, my connection over the network was great 8 down, 4 up, and since switching to KH3 it has gone to shit. Any idea how to fix this specifically? Someone mentioned about putting the original bell modem on? How is that done?

Just added this to the guide for you :)

Upvote 0
BIG THANKS Blue1k!

Followed your guide and everything worked out!! Thanks for answering questions along the way.

Originally UGKF6
Now XXKG5

I decided to go with KG5 'cause I wanna stick with something official first. I'll then play around later =)

One question though, do we hafta do a factory reset once rooted? What if we don't?

Not if you are loading a stock rom. If you notice any crashes or boot loops then you may have to. Haven't run into this issue yet.

Upvote 0
This is a completely NEWB question...

I am looking to experiment with ROMS using this guide, but would like to know if I would go back to a completely factory setup using the Bell Stock Items

Bell KG2 Stock Modem
Bell KG2 Rom

Will I be able to get future OTA updates once I go back to the stock ROM?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
I have used Kies up to now! just no luck, I have tried to run as Admin and in different Comp modes, is there a way someone can sort me out with a copy of Odin? as a PM?

thanks again for all your help.

Sure. Will upload it to my server and send you a link. Btw are you making sure of closing kies and checking it is not running before launching Odin? Only other thing I can think of.

Reactions: androidistic
Upvote 0
This is a completely NEWB question...

I am looking to experiment with ROMS using this guide, but would like to know if I would go back to a completely factory setup using the Bell Stock Items

Bell KG2 Stock Modem
Bell KG2 Rom

Will I be able to get future OTA updates once I go back to the stock ROM?

Thank you!

Bell does not push out ota. They are sent through kies. To he honest I am not totally sure. I believe if you flash back the stock rom you should be able to update with kies but the only thing is that the kernel difference may limit this.

But, with that said who cares if you can't use Kies. Users expect firmware update changes like crack addicts and the rom would be made available for Odin pretty much right away. :)

Upvote 0
Sure. Will upload it to my server and send you a link. Btw are you making sure of closing kies and checking it is not running before launching Odin? Only other thing I can think of.

Even with kies "exited" and the tray icon closed there were still two processes still running.

To completely close kies click... START ..in the search dialog type TASKMGR.EXE and press enter. A new window will open, click the services tab and then press button SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS.. Then sort by name and look for any processes named KIES right click each and select END PROCESS TREE. Kies should now finally be stopped. Horrible software.

Reactions: Blue1k
Upvote 0
Big THANKS! to Blue1K!!!

I sent you a pm... but in the meantime, I did the basic root/unlock on page 1 of this thread. Then, I tried to understand the instructions on the xda thread as to how to remove the yellow triangle... I'm definitely a newb here but I'm really scratching my head over those instructions! Can you dumb these down a bit? :thinking:

Thanks!

It is definitely possible to remove that pesky warning triangle during boot when running a custom kernel, though you should be well aware that this method does NOT reset the custom kernel flash counter. The steps are not complicated, but they aren't easy either, so read well.

(1) Make sure you have CF-Root flashed (see the first post). You must have the "CWM Manager" app available. Got this part done

(2) Make sure you have the same version of CF-Root extracted until you have the zImage file. (ZIP --> extract --> TAR --> extract --> zImage).
Ok.... now he lost me! Extracted where, my PC? the phone? and if phone, how, and with what?

(3) Push the zImage file to /sdcard . It must still be called zImage !

(4) Find an original Samsung signed stock kernel (preferably from the same stock firmware you have, but it's not terribly important)

(5) Reboot into download mode (adb reboot download, or boot the device with home and volume-down pressed)

(6) Fire up ODIN, and flash the Samsung kernel

(7) Boot the device with the stock kernel. CWM Manager will still be available.

(8) Start CWM Manager, select Flash Kernel, and select the zImage from CF-Root you previously put on your SD-card. The kernel will flash and the device will reboot.

(9) You will now notice you no longer have the warning triangle during boot, but you are actually running CF-Root with all it's goodies!

(10) In the future, if you only use the Flash Kernel option inside CWM Manager instead of ODIN, the triangle will not return, neither will your flash counter increase. But keep in mind, that CWM Manager can only handle a direct "zImage" if you are NOT running a kernel with full busybox support (this is currently needed for flashing kernels out of .TAR and .ZIP files)

Upvote 0
Even with kies "exited" and the tray icon closed there were still two processes still running.

To completely close kies click... START ..in the search dialog type TASKMGR.EXE and press enter. A new window will open, click the services tab and then press button SHOW PROCESSES FROM ALL USERS.. Then sort by name and look for any processes named KIES right click each and select END PROCESS TREE. Kies should now finally be stopped. Horrible software.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Big THANKS! to Blue1K!!!

I sent you a pm... but in the meantime, I did the basic root/unlock on page 1 of this thread. Then, I tried to understand the instructions on the xda thread as to how to remove the yellow triangle... I'm definitely a newb here but I'm really scratching my head over those instructions! Can you dumb these down a bit? :thinking:

Thanks!

It is definitely possible to remove that pesky warning triangle during boot when running a custom kernel, though you should be well aware that this method does NOT reset the custom kernel flash counter. The steps are not complicated, but they aren't easy either, so read well.

(1) Make sure you have CF-Root flashed (see the first post). You must have the "CWM Manager" app available. Got this part done

(2) Make sure you have the same version of CF-Root extracted until you have the zImage file. (ZIP --> extract --> TAR --> extract --> zImage).
Ok.... now he lost me! Extracted where, my PC? the phone? and if phone, how, and with what?

(3) Push the zImage file to /sdcard . It must still be called zImage !

(4) Find an original Samsung signed stock kernel (preferably from the same stock firmware you have, but it's not terribly important)

(5) Reboot into download mode (adb reboot download, or boot the device with home and volume-down pressed)

(6) Fire up ODIN, and flash the Samsung kernel

(7) Boot the device with the stock kernel. CWM Manager will still be available.

(8) Start CWM Manager, select Flash Kernel, and select the zImage from CF-Root you previously put on your SD-card. The kernel will flash and the device will reboot.

(9) You will now notice you no longer have the warning triangle during boot, but you are actually running CF-Root with all it's goodies!

(10) In the future, if you only use the Flash Kernel option inside CWM Manager instead of ODIN, the triangle will not return, neither will your flash counter increase. But keep in mind, that CWM Manager can only handle a direct "zImage" if you are NOT running a kernel with full busybox support (this is currently needed for flashing kernels out of .TAR and .ZIP files)

Sent u a pm :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Blue and all u here to make rooting and unlock so easy.
I did in like less then 5 mins,

but a problem if afterr rooting virgin sgs2, now using rogers, GPS is not able to find sattelites now, and i see forums in xda develops, but not able to understand what to do.
any suggestions, am stil on UGKG2

take a look here

Upvote 0
Thanks for good and quick help
I installed GPS tool and will see now.
come comments on app shows battery drain.

Anywayz, sorree again, but also my IM for msn doesnt work now.
clinking IM says connecting, within a sec shows msg
Error
Error occured

Actualy was working after root on wifi, but later on i restored factory setting and put rogers sim card is not working since then.

Upvote 0
I just rooted my phone. Thanks for the very comprehensive thread. Now, im wondering if i need to unlock it since i'm not using another sim. Is there any difference in the performance of the unlocked one? AND When you flash the stock ROM is it still rooted? what is the difference between the stock ROM and modem? im such a noob please help me understand this part. I've tried to understand most of it by reading different forums but for this one i really need some answer. Thanks. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for good and quick help
I installed GPS tool and will see now.
come comments on app shows battery drain.

Anywayz, sorree again, but also my IM for msn doesnt work now.
clinking IM says connecting, within a sec shows msg
Error
Error occured

Actualy was working after root on wifi, but later on i restored factory setting and put rogers sim card is not working since then.

Not too sure about this? Do you still have your Rogers apn entered in?

For GPS, the new ki3 modem and rom from sicopat is perfect. Very fast GPS locks.

Upvote 0
I just rooted my phone. Thanks for the very comprehensive thread. Now, im wondering if i need to unlock it since i'm not using another sim. Is there any difference in the performance of the unlocked one? AND When you flash the stock ROM is it still rooted? what is the difference between the stock ROM and modem? im such a noob please help me understand this part. I've tried to understand most of it by reading different forums but for this one i really need some answer. Thanks. :D

If you don't need it unlocked then I wouldn't bother.

Any time you flash a stock rom then it becomes unrooted. You need then to apply the rooted CF kernel to root it again. Say you upgraded to KI3. You would need the KI3 rooted kernel.

I moved over to Sicopat's roms because they are stock but are rooted and eliminate the need for flashing a rooted kernel afterwards. They also use the nimphetamine kernel which allows for overclocking and underclocking.

The ROM is the whole operating system of the device. The modem controls your cellular radio, wifi and gps etc..

Finally, glad to have time to be back. I was getting hammered at work this last week that I have not gone online much. :(

Reactions: geofkools
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Now i understand the stock rom and cf-kernel thing clearly. One last question regarding this.

You gave us link to flash back to stock Bell rom and modem. so if i want to go back(just in case i need warranty), i need to do both modem and and rom? or rom only?

I've been reading a lot after rooting my phone and now looking forward to flashing a custom rom. Now my problem is with compatability issues...

Most of the custom ROMs are made to be flashed to KH3 and others.. so what should i first do to make sure i can flash a ROM safely for KG2?

Would you recommend to flash another stock rom? then re-root??
IF you do can you make a step-by-step guide or a link? and the sicopat rom that is a stock but rooted, can you help me with that?

if my understanding is not correct, please correct me.
Since this is the only thread which is specific to the bell/virgin S2, I thought this is the best place to ask.. NOOB here. :S

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Now i understand the stock rom and cf-kernel thing clearly. One last question regarding this.

You gave us link to flash back to stock Bell rom and modem. so if i want to go back(just in case i need warranty), i need to do both modem and and rom? or rom only?

I've been reading a lot after rooting my phone and now looking forward to flashing a custom rom. Now my problem is with compatability issues...

Most of the custom ROMs are made to be flashed to KH3 and others.. so what should i first do to make sure i can flash a ROM safely for KG2?

Would you recommend to flash another stock rom? then re-root??
IF you do can you make a step-by-step guide or a link? and the sicopat rom that is a stock but rooted, can you help me with that?

if my understanding is not correct, please correct me.
Since this is the only thread which is specific to the bell/virgin S2, I thought this is the best place to ask.. NOOB here. :S

Ya to get back to stock you would need to flash the rom and the modem. The rom won't overwrite a newer modem. You will also need the stock kernel which is now on XDA (I'll add that soon to this thread).

I went from KG2 to KH3 and then to KI3 and now testing a miui rom for fun.
You could go directly to KI3 from KG2. KI3 (Android 2.3.5) is a lot more fluid and seems a big improvement over 2.3.4. I also noticed an improvement in battery life.

To flash sicopat's rom which is basically a stock rom with rooted kernel you do the following:

1. I would root using my guide and KG2. Make a backup after rooting by launching the CWM app and choosing backup. This will create a nandroid backup which is a restore point you can return to if things go bad or you don't like the new rom.

2. Download the KI3 sicopat rom. It will be in a zip format. Copy it to the internal SD card on your phone. I put my zip in the USBStorage folder.

3. Open the CWM app and choose FLASH UPDATE. Navigate to folder where the sicopat zip is. Flash the zip

The other way to flash a zip is to reboot into recovery by pressing VOLUME UP, home, and power. In recovery select choose update and navigate to the USB storage. To move back in a menu press power. (Try CWM first though...much easier)

Your phone will boot into recovery and install the rom. You won't need to root again as the Sicopat rom is already rooted :)

Reactions: geofkools
Upvote 0
Alright. Perfect!

Please add up everything that really is needed to get back to stock bell s2 on the first post... This is the stocks right?? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193695

By what i already understood is you can flash everything back by just using ODIN by, flashing the CSC, modem(phone) and kernel(PDA)? so what is the ROM(the one that is in this guide that i ddnt see on the link) for? is it a substitute so i can just skip and not flash the CSC part?

Or just disregard these questions and just make the updates on the first post on How to flashback fully to stock. haha :)

Is this the right sicopat stock rom with rooted kernel you were saying?
[ROM][25/09][2.3.5][XXKI3] SicOpaT's ROM BASE ODEXED + THEMES + MODs - xda-developers

if i do flash this will my yellow triangle disappear?? is KI3 better than KI4?

All of this is slowly and slowly making sense to me... BIG THANKS TO YOU. :D
expect a few more questions! pls bear with me. :D

Upvote 0
...You could go directly to KI3 from KG2. KI3 (Android 2.3.5) is a lot more fluid and seems a big improvement over 2.3.4. I also noticed an improvement in battery life.

To flash sicopat's rom which is basically a stock rom with rooted kernel you do the following:

1. I would root using my guide and KG2. Make a backup after rooting by launching the CWM app and choosing backup. This will create a nandroid backup which is a restore point you can return to if things go bad or you don't like the new rom.

2. Download the KI3 sicopat rom. It will be in a zip format. Copy it to the internal SD card on your phone. I put my zip in the USBStorage folder.

3. Open the CWM app and choose FLASH UPDATE. Navigate to folder where the sicopat zip is. Flash the zip

The other way to flash a zip is to reboot into recovery by pressing VOLUME UP, home, and power. In recovery select choose update and navigate to the USB storage. To move back in a menu press power. (Try CWM first though...much easier)

Your phone will boot into recovery and install the rom. You won't need to root again as the Sicopat rom is already rooted :)

Hey Blue, I've been following this guide, but when I check in "About phone" is says that I'm still running KH3. I'll expand on what I've done. I download sicopat's zip file to my computer, then load it onto my phone using Kies air. I did put it in the internal sd, but as its own file, not into USBstorage. I then followed the rest of your guide to the letter. Can you tell me what's going wrong?
By the way, I haven't got a clue what to do about the QR code, or how to directly download to my phone. Believe me, I've tried! It always says that the download is unsuccessful or failed because my phone doesn't support the type of file. Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks! :)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hey Blue1K,

I think I rushed and before reading your post I did it ...

- I did not look what type of Kernel I have
- I installed Gingerbread.XWKDD

At Kernel version says :
2.6.35.7-I9100XWKDD-CL161513
root@DELL103 #2

When I try the Sim unlock app it says I'm not a superuser ... and nobody can unlock the phone now.

Is it safe to re-install what you're KINDLY giving out in your information ?

Oh ... First time Android user :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones