1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, Feb 15, 2013.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

Yup :)

MisterHighway likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. MisterHighway

MisterHighway Newbie

Using the HTCdev method or should I go S-OFF?

3. MisterHighway

MisterHighway Newbie

OTA update came through flawlessly! I lost root, which I expected I would. I'll move forward with the root method you suggest (via HTCdev in the guide above or through S-OFF, given my root requirements). Thank you so much Scotty85, your input has been priceless.

scotty85 likes this.
  4. MisterHighway

MisterHighway Newbie

Just wanted to check, should I go S-OFF or HTCdev for my root now? I have used S-OFF in the past with my Droid1 and my Thunderbolt until this most recent root using HTCdev. My required root isn't that great so should I stick with HTCdev? And should I make a nandroid backup of my ROM?

5. scotty85

awsome! glad it went smoothly :cool: also,glad to help :)

s-off is IMO better. it allows you to change other partitions on your phone,in addition to the boot/system/recovery that htcdev allows. it also makes rom flashing much easier.

however,there is no way to s-off from ICS,youll need to downgrade back to GB if you really want to do that.
    the process would be,basically:
    -make a nandroid of the OTA that just happened
    -follow the guide to downgrade and s-off ics
    -after you have s-off,re-install any firmware that changed with the OTA. if none,reinstall ICS firmware.
    -reinstall recovery
    -restore nandroid

if youre interested in flashing different roms and changing other partitions,then s-off is worthwhile. from the way you describe your current setup,id say it may not be needed,its really a matter of preference.

htcdev unlock is fine if you want to stay stock,and just add root access to run some root only apps :)

ill have to fire up my TB and see if can capture this newest OTA. what is your current build number,now thaT it is complete?

6. como1103

como1103 Lurker

I did everything the OP said to do, and thought I was rooted, but when I ran titanium backup on my phone, it said that I am not. This process went perfectly smooth, but now it says I'm not rooted? What did I do wrong?

Nevermind!!! I ran it again a few minutes later and it worked perfect. Thanks for the guide!

scotty85 likes this.
  7. scotty85

You're welcome. Glad its working for you. :cool:

8. Kyledawg

Kyledawg Lurker

so will this work for 4.0.4 on the thuderblt

9. scotty85

yes.

if you have any trouble,just holler. i am still around :)

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews