• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

These are the parts that are throwing me off , I search the phrases to get definitions of them and wind up going all over the place with different instructions provided and by the time I am done , it's the next day and I'm all screwed up .

heres what you need to do:

-place the zipped superSU file onto your sd card. How ?
-start the phone in hboot HOW ?
use ext 4 to install superSU.
your flashing it just like it was a rom,
? how?

Upvote 0
These are the parts that are throwing me off , I search the phrases to get definitions of them and wind up going all over the place with different instructions provided and by the time I am done , it's the next day and I'm all screwed up .

heres what you need to do:

-place the zipped superSU file onto your sd card.
How ?
any means you are comfortable. the easiet method would be to plug in the phone,and then select the option on the phone to trasnfer files or mount as usb storage,im not sure exactly what the message will be.

alternately,place the sd card into an adpater,and plug it directly into the PC.

either way,once youve got the phones sd card seen on the PC,simply drag and drop,or copy and paste, the superuser file to the sd.

-start the phone in hboot
HOW ?
make sure you have unchecked "fastboot" in settings/power. power the phone off,pull the battery for a few seconds. hold vol down,then power,until you get to hboot,wich is a white screen with colored lettering.

now you can select "recovery" on that menu,using the vol keys and power button

use ext 4 to install superSU.
your flashing it just like it was a rom,
?
how?
using the thread i have allready linked for you: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/631481-4ext-recovery-how.html

start at post #2,since you allready have ext 4 installed
hope that helps :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
AAAAUUUUGGHHHH........
Under Phones " Storage " information , To mount sd card is grayed out and says " insert an sd card for mounting" ... wonder what's up with that as my att card is installed and i can make calls ..
With " Root Explorer " .. it shows that the sd card is currently unmounted ..
I googled sd card and see that i am working with the sim instead of the smaller micro i am supposed to be working with ..:( DUMMY ME !
I put micro SD CARD into my computer and it will not show as being in it ...! It's a 64 GB from walmrts i put in when i got the phone over a month ago...Never worked ?? I am trying everything to make it show up and it wont .... IS there an internal one with the phone that i can use without this one ?? It did not come from the ebay guy with one installed . :musicus:
UPDATE: The sd card does work in my camera .. boy !! This is really annoying !

Upvote 0
AAAAUUUUGGHHHH........
Under Phones " Storage " information , To mount sd card is grayed out and says " insert an sd card for mounting" ... wonder what's up with that as my att card is installed and i can make calls ..
With " Root Explorer " .. it shows that the sd card is currently unmounted ..
I googled sd card and see that i am working with the sim instead of the smaller micro i am supposed to be working with ..:( DUMMY ME !
I put micro SD CARD into my computer and it will not show as being in it ...! It's a 64 GB from walmrts i put in when i got the phone over a month ago...Never worked ?? I am trying everything to make it show up and it wont .... IS there an internal one with the phone that i can use without this one ?? It did not come from the ebay guy with one installed . :musicus:
UPDATE: The sd card does work in my camera .. boy !! This is really annoying !

insert the sd card into a card reader/usb adabpter and plug it into your PC. do a full format to FAT32. the phone prolly needs the sd to be formatted prior to use,where the camera may not.

dont worry,youll get it. :)

Upvote 0
I have it inside of a " Micro SD Adapter " .. is that the same thing ?

inside the camera? no,prolly not.

you need an adapter,with a female end the micro sd card can plug into,and a male usb end that plugs into your PC.

that way,you can use the PC,independent of the phone,to format the sd,then move files to it.

Upvote 0
Alright , i followed your instructions as far as set up and went to the one to install the 4ext ..which told me how to install the downloaded rom i selected ..( a few minutes ago ) .. I'm now into waiting at about 7 minutes on the 1st reboot to see if i did it right .. selected jellybean 4.2 Rom .

well,your rom is not going to boot. my impression was that you wanted to install root access on your stock rom,so you could delete some bloat,and possibly venture into the guide to s off.

s-on rom flashing is more complex than simply flashing the rom from recovery,as the recovery cannot install the boot image. s-on rom flashing requires the boot image from the rom of choice to be manually installed in fastboot.

your directions were to use the 4ext how to,but use the superSU file instead of a rom. this would have installed a working superuser and binary on your stock setup.

the easiest way out of your predicament is to restore the backup you made prior to flashing the rom(you made one right?)

if you have no backup,well have to walk you thru manually installing the boot image.

Upvote 0
Looks like my post is lost . Anyway... thru formatting and deleting , I am back where i started with the phone . Rom is alright and working as gingerbread .. phone is unlocked ...sd card is fat 32 ...Backup is installed ..
I wonder just what it was i was initially trying to do now it's been so long ..

i thot you just wanted root... so you could eliminate bloatware. :)

Reactions: CallBob
Upvote 0
Good day scotty85,

I just wanted to let you know that your guide helped me a great deal.

I had read several other guides and found them lacking, on the other hand, yours was complete, and was not confusing at all.

I very much appreciate that a few posts down from the op, you were kind enough to include the "2)for ATT inspire build 2.47.502.7" for I was having a bit of difficulty getting that from the htcdev website.

Kudos to you sir!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
i did the temporary recovery and the permanent .. i keep getting suck on the HTC start up screen ... :thinking:

*** UNLOCKED ***
HBOOT-2.00.0030
MIROP-0438
RADIO-26.17.14.11_M
eMMC-boot
Feb 20 2012, 16:03:18

does the phone boot normally? did the md5 sum of the image match? any errors in cmd? a copy of your cmd session may help.

last and not least,you do have an ACE model,correct? (inspire or desire HD)

Upvote 0
does the phone boot normally? did the md5 sum of the image match? any errors in cmd? a copy of your cmd session may help.

last and not least,you do have an ACE model,correct? (inspire or desire HD)
yes i just got the phone to boot back up normaly... i really dont know what im doing cuz this phone i no nothing about ... and it is the inspire 4g.... long list in the cmd

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error: Unable to read file/directory PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img

Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - PC-Tools.Net: Tools and utilities for Windows, Unix/Linux, DOS
Type md5sums -h for help

Error: Unable to read file/directory PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums ace_recovery_ext_4.img

Type md5sums -h for help

[c:\mini-adb_vigor\]
ace_recovery_ext_4.img d1d3d71a2832573b2f5a157aa7c1eadc

c:\mini-adb_vigor>adb reboot bootloader

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot flash recoveryace_recovery_ext_4.img
unknown partition 'recoveryace_recovery_ext_4.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recoveryace_recovery_ext_4.img'

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot flash recovery ace_recovery_ext_4.img
sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)... OKAY [ 0.538s]
writing 'recovery'... INFOsignature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 0.935s

sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)... OKAY [ 0.528s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 0.605s]
finished. total time: 1.134s

sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)... OKAY [ 0.515s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.316s]
finished. total time: 1.831s

c:\mini-adb_vigor>adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

c:\mini-adb_vigor> fastboot flash recovery ace_recovery_ext_4.img
sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)... OKAY [ 0.530s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 0.895s]
finished. total time: 1.426s

error: device not found

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot devices
HT1AVT206528 fastboot

c:\mini-adb_vigor> fastboot flash recovery ace_recovery_ext_4.img
sending 'recovery' (3054 KB)... OKAY [ 0.511s]
writing 'recovery'... OKAY [ 1.296s]
finished. total time: 1.807s

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

Type md5sums -h for help

Error: Unable to read file/directory recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums recovery-ra-vigor-3.13-gnm.img

Type md5sums -h for help

[c:\mini-adb_vigor\]
recovery-ra-vigor-3.13-gnm.img 44503f9a48d06b03d892cd601ba0c214

adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.13-gnm.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 1.218s]
booting... OKAY [ 0.003s]
finished. total time: 1.222s

c:\mini-adb_vigor>

Upvote 0
your recoveries arent booting becasue you arent using good images.

the md5s do not match. from the OP:
md5sums ace_recovery_ext_4.img

**make sure the resulting md5 matches 042e9fa838521592ec9224bfb27df52a **

from your output above:
ace_recovery_ext_4.img d1d3d71a2832573b2f5a157aa7c1eadc

where did you get this image? if you used my link,try re-downloading maybe you have a bad download. make sure you are just using the image file inside the download.

the ra-gnm recovery is for another device,i do not believe there are amon ra images for inspire/dhd

Reactions: troy327
Upvote 0
ok well i got the recovery on the phone but no custom roms will work :( i freez on the HTC screen but if i restore the stock it will boot

with s-on,rom flashing is more complex,as recovery cannot install the kernel(the boot image). as such,you need to manually install the boot image via fastboot.

if you wish to stay s on,you can flash roms manually using this guide,wich is for the rezound,but the basic concept is the same: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/499172-how-manually-flash-roms.html#post3933400 just make sure to use files speicfic to DHD

if you wish to s-off,so rom flashing and such is easier,you can use this guide:
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

Reactions: troy327
Upvote 0
Great guide scotty, thumbs up! Followed most of your guide and replies but still and need your help bud :)

Updated and unlocked my Hboot and now it's on 29 with S-Off.

I perma-flashed CWM recovery, installed SuperUser and flashed the latest version of SVHD ROM through recovery and everything completed without giving me any errors, then launched the kernel provided with the ROM by entering " fastboot boot boot.img " and restarted the phone.

After the HTC logo with a white background the screen goes black as if the ROM can't boot.

Could this be a SuperUser issue or a S-Off issue or CWM issue? I'm not sure if SVHD requires S-On to function properly and it's nowhere mentioned on the thread either.

Advice required please!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones