• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

Hello,

Please help, as I am stuck. I am trying to unlock a HTC Desire HD, with all HTC Drivers (Win XP) installed. I get to step 5 in the HTCDev tutorial, but unfortunately everytime in the bootloader the device is not recognised by Windows XP. It keeps asking for a driver.
I have installed the drivers, so what am I doing wrong, or is there something else to do?

Thanks for reading.

you may need to let it install a driver,or install it manually. a couple posts up are some basic adb and fastboot troubleshooting tips. you might try installing the driver manually as described there,for both adb and fastboot.

Reactions: jim and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
Something funky with my wifes phone, when I get into the boot screen, there is neither a locked or unlocked pink text at the top. When I try to run the get_identifier_token, I get:

c:\mini-adb_htcg>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
(bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
OKAY [ 0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.009s

Followed steps and repeated all down loads, and advise? Thanks!

Upvote 0
You do not have a compatible hboot. You will need to download it from the HTC dev website

Hi Scotty85,
Firstly a big thank you that your instructions were very helpful.

Although I did manage to mess things up. I had rooted my HTC Desire HD and was good to go with installing CyanogenMod 12. After following your instructions, I foolishly followed this link:
http://androidxda.net/update-htc-desire-hd-to-android-5-0-2-lollipop-via-cyanogenmod-12-custom-rom/

Now my phone after every reboot goes straight into the 4EXT recovery screen. I have tried to restore from the backup you suggested, but it still reboots and goes in 4EXT.

Can you kindly:
1. Help me recover my HTC Desire HD from this state?
2. Help me upgrade it to Android 4 and above?

Thank you.

Upvote 0
putting things on the sd card should not have affected anything,but remove the sd anyway,just to make sure something strange isnt going on.

so id i understand correctly,you boot to hboot,and no matter what option that you select it boots to ext 4? if you boot the phone normally,then it boots to ext 4?

sounds like you have possibly installed ext 4 to the boot partition,instead of the recovery partition. the assumed fix would be to simply flash the boot and recovery partitions again:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

but if you are unable to place the phone into fastboot,that may be an issue. if youre unable to get to fastboot from the hboot menu,try plugging into the pc with the phone in ext 4.

enter

adb devices

which hopefully will give you xxxxxxxxx recovery indicating that youre connected. if so,enter

adb reboot bootloader

if that works,it should boot you to fastboot mode. try reflashing as suggested above. make sure you have boot.img and recovery.img in your fastboot directory,and that you havent accidently renamed them incorrectly.

let us know how it goes :)

Upvote 0
putting things on the sd card should not have affected anything,but remove the sd anyway,just to make sure something strange isnt going on.

so id i understand correctly,you boot to hboot,and no matter what option that you select it boots to ext 4? if you boot the phone normally,then it boots to ext 4?

sounds like you have possibly installed ext 4 to the boot partition,instead of the recovery partition. the assumed fix would be to simply flash the boot and recovery partitions again:

but if you are unable to place the phone into fastboot,that may be an issue. if youre unable to get to fastboot from the hboot menu,try plugging into the pc with the phone in ext 4.

enter

adb devices

which hopefully will give you xxxxxxxxx recovery indicating that youre connected. if so,enter

adb reboot bootloader

if that works,it should boot you to fastboot mode. try reflashing as suggested above. make sure you have boot.img and recovery.img in your fastboot directory,and that you havent accidently renamed them incorrectly.

I seemed to have installed the Ext4 to the recovery partition, as my HTC Desire HD was booting correctly late yesterday night.

Although after using the following link
http://androidxda.net/update-htc-desire-hd-to-android-5-0-2-lollipop-via-cyanogenmod-12-custom-rom/
(and I was on Step13 when it failed) since then I am stuck in Ext4 loop.

My partner has taken her laptop, so I have a completely different PC which doesnt seem to give me anything when I run "adb devices". I get this:

c:\mini-adb>adb devices
List of devices attached

c:\mini-adb>

Unrelated?

Upvote 0

enter

adb devices

adb reboot bootloader

I have now managed to get hold of the laptop and when I run adb devices, I see my HTC Desire HD which shows the Serial Number and recovery next to it. That MUST be a good sign.... I think.
Can you kindly confirm which one is boot.img?
recovery.img I think is: "PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img". Correct?

Also, do I need to run the 2 fastboot flash commands again?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones