1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, Mar 22, 2013.

1. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

you may need to let it install a driver,or install it manually. a couple posts up are some basic adb and fastboot troubleshooting tips. you might try installing the driver manually as described there,for both adb and fastboot.

jim and D-U-R-X like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jim

jim Lurker

Something funky with my wifes phone, when I get into the boot screen, there is neither a locked or unlocked pink text at the top. When I try to run the get_identifier_token, I get:

c:\mini-adb_htcg>fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    (bootloader) [ERR] Command error !!!
    OKAY [ 0.008s]
    finished. total time: 0.009s

Followed steps and repeated all down loads, and advise? Thanks!

3. scotty85

You do not have a compatible hboot. You will need to download it from the HTC dev website

D-U-R-X and jim like this.
  4. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

Hi Scotty85,
    Firstly a big thank you that your instructions were very helpful.

Although I did manage to mess things up. I had rooted my HTC Desire HD and was good to go with installing CyanogenMod 12. After following your instructions, I foolishly followed this link:
    http://androidxda.net/update-htc-desire-hd-to-android-5-0-2-lollipop-via-cyanogenmod-12-custom-rom/

Now my phone after every reboot goes straight into the 4EXT recovery screen. I have tried to restore from the backup you suggested, but it still reboots and goes in 4EXT.

Can you kindly:
    1. Help me recover my HTC Desire HD from this state?
    2. Help me upgrade it to Android 4 and above?

Thank you.

5. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

Everytime I turn my HTC Desire HD on, its going straight to 4EXT recovery mode, even if I select FASTBOOT on the main menu.
    Did copying the CyanogenMod and Google Apps on the SD Card messing with the boot sequence?
    Please help. :oops:

6. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

Also when the boot enters the 4EXT mode, I see a message: "Unconfigured: use 4ext app to set me up"

7. scotty85

putting things on the sd card should not have affected anything,but remove the sd anyway,just to make sure something strange isnt going on.

so id i understand correctly,you boot to hboot,and no matter what option that you select it boots to ext 4? if you boot the phone normally,then it boots to ext 4?

sounds like you have possibly installed ext 4 to the boot partition,instead of the recovery partition. the assumed fix would be to simply flash the boot and recovery partitions again:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

but if you are unable to place the phone into fastboot,that may be an issue. if youre unable to get to fastboot from the hboot menu,try plugging into the pc with the phone in ext 4.

enter

adb devices

which hopefully will give you xxxxxxxxx recovery indicating that youre connected. if so,enter

adb reboot bootloader

if that works,it should boot you to fastboot mode. try reflashing as suggested above. make sure you have boot.img and recovery.img in your fastboot directory,and that you havent accidently renamed them incorrectly.

let us know how it goes :)

8. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

I seemed to have installed the Ext4 to the recovery partition, as my HTC Desire HD was booting correctly late yesterday night.

Although after using the following link
    http://androidxda.net/update-htc-desire-hd-to-android-5-0-2-lollipop-via-cyanogenmod-12-custom-rom/
    (and I was on Step13 when it failed) since then I am stuck in Ext4 loop.

My partner has taken her laptop, so I have a completely different PC which doesnt seem to give me anything when I run "adb devices". I get this:

c:\mini-adb>adb devices
    List of devices attached

c:\mini-adb>

Unrelated?

9. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

I have also tried to restore in Ext4, but not sure if I am doing it correctly.
    1. Do a full wipe.
    2. Select backup | restore
    3. Select Restore

I was hoping that my phone would be back just the way it was before.

10. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

Or is it the boot order that is the issue?

11. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

I have now managed to get hold of the laptop and when I run adb devices, I see my HTC Desire HD which shows the Serial Number and recovery next to it. That MUST be a good sign.... I think.
    Can you kindly confirm which one is boot.img?
    recovery.img I think is: "PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.img". Correct?

Also, do I need to run the 2 fastboot flash commands again?

Thanks.

12. jaykaygeetoo

jaykaygeetoo Lurker

Can anyone tell me which boot.img to use as per Scotty85's respose above?

I have been without a mobile for 2 days. :(

HTC Desire HD Forum

The HTC Desire HD release date was October 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1230mAh battery.

October 2010
Release Date
Reviews