• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to update a rooted phone

Hi guys, hope this is the right forum to post my question.

I'm currently using a Verizon LG G4 and I'm rooted on version VS98613B. I'd like to update to 24C but I understand that updating a rooted phone is a not simple straight forward process?? I'm not exactly sure what is involved, but someone mentioned that I needed to KDZ back to stock image FIRST before taking the OTA update. I have no clue what that means and I'd like to update safely without bricking my phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes they are correct,If you try an update on a rooted device it could in fact brick your device.
What you want to do,If you want to update your device is to go back to stock and do the updates.
Here is where to start:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/g4/general/guide-lg-g4-stock-firmware-to-stock-kdz-t3107848
Follow instructions word for word,And if you have any questions,Feel free to ask us.
Also remove the Sim/SD Card as it will wipe them clean when flashing back to stock,After flashing back to stock you can put them back in.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Amoco, I appreciate the quick reply and the link/guide. I will look over it tonight and post back with questions if I have any. By the way i assume I need to roll back to a stock image of 13B - correct?

I think so,I don't remember the version of the original release on the G4's.I just got the update last week to Android 6.0,And I wasn't rooted to began with.

BTW,I'm moving your thread to Root - LG G4 Sub forum.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones