• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to update PRL with CM10?

jonnyboy2

Dec 31, 2011
Sorry for posting yet another question here, but I can't find any answers.

I'm running MidnightROM's Jelly Bean CM10.

I'm currently trying to follow these directions, but after enabling the diagnostic mode through Terminal, I don't see any HTC Diag driver on my computer. The drivers install under Android USB Devices as "My HTC". I thought maybe I already had installed the Diag drivers or something, but I can't seem to find my phone in QPST either. Any help?

Sorry for posting yet another question here, but I can't find any answers.

I'm running MidnightROM's Jelly Bean CM10.

I'm currently trying to follow these directions, but after enabling the diagnostic mode through Terminal, I don't see any HTC Diag driver on my computer. The drivers install under Android USB Devices as "My HTC". I thought maybe I already had installed the Diag drivers or something, but I can't seem to find my phone in QPST either. Any help?

not a cm10 issue... every1 has problems with getting their device to show up in qpst... you just gotta play around with your phone until your comp finally gets it...

Upvote 0
I thought in order to do that you needed the HTC diag mode which is an APK that most CM roms don't have...?

I could be mistaken but that's what I remember.

First things first! to kick the phone into Diagnostic Mode: on your phone, open Terminal Emulator and type
Code:
HTML:
su
echo 1 > /sys/class/android_usb/f_diag/on
Alternatively, if you have Root Explorer, simply navigate to sys/class/android_usb/f_diag/ and edit the file named "on". In there, change the 0 to a 1 and save. This is EXACTLY like using the Terminal Emulator method above, so EITHER of these, not BOTH.

It won't look like anything happens on the phone, but this CAN'T BE SKIPPED!
from xda link given by the op...

edit:
to the op... guide also tells you to reboot your computer after installing drivers... try that if you haven't already...

Upvote 0
Silly question, why not make a nandroid, flash harmonia, change prl, and restore backup?
As davidmargolin said, it should work with AOSP ROM's using the guide quoted in the OP but if you are going to flash another ROM to do it a GB Sense ROM like MeanROM GB has the PRL update function built-in and you don't even need the diagnostic drivers or QPST.

I haven't used it in a long time, so if anyone decides to try it and the epst.apk in the latest MeanROM GB doesn't work, there's one in post #3 of this thread that should. I keep a nandroid of MeanROM GB just for that purpose, even though I don't change PRL's manually very often.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
As davidmargolin said, it should work with AOSP ROM's using the guide quoted in the OP but if you are going to flash another ROM to do it a GB Sense ROM like MeanROM GB has the PRL update function built-in and you don't even need the diagnostic drivers or QPST.

I haven't used it in a long time, so if anyone decides to try it and the epst.apk in the latest MeanROM GB doesn't work, there's one in post #3 of this thread that should. I keep a nandroid of MeanROM GB just for that purpose, even though I don't change PRL's manually very often.

ramjet73

Nice, so no computer necessary?

Upvote 0

ramjet73

I just tried this and can confirm it still works. Very useful, thanks!

i just did this with zero problems...what PRL is everyone running? i am on 00002 right now.

I just updated with the 25010 PRL that was posted. It seems to be working pretty well.

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
Were you able to use the epst.apk included with the ROM or did you have to install the one from the thread I linked? It's been so long since I've done it that I don't remember which one I used.

ramjet73

On the latest MeanROM GB I had to install the EPST app from the link. The one in the ROM didn't work when I did ##775#

Reactions: ramjet73
Upvote 0
not a cm10 issue... every1 has problems with getting their device to show up in qpst... you just gotta play around with your phone until your comp finally gets it...
Incorrect, QPST issues are caused when device hardware can't be recognized by a PC.

To fix this check or perform the following:

- Check your cords and drivers, swap to another USB port to trigger it as well (this will usually change your COM port also).

- You may also want to uncheck the option "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only".

- Also, if your device shows up twice, use the port connected to the device listed as "Diagnostic"

Also your device must be in "Diagnostic mode" for QPST to read it.

If you are not on a sense based rom use the method list above via the Terminal App

If you are on a Sense based Rom try the following from your dialer:

HTC Devices Press ##3424#

Samsung devices: Press ##8778#

Note: To exit diagnostic press the menu button and select " disable"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones