• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How To: Update Rom on hero T-Mobile G2 Touch

jollsker

Lurker
Feb 7, 2010
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PHONE DAMAGE, THIS IS HOW I UPDATED MY ROM WITHOUT USING THE SOFTWARE FROM T-MOBILE HOMEPAGE.

USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

First of, sorry for my bad English :p

When I first got my Hero phone I wanted to upgrade to the new Rom. So I went to T-Mobile site and downloaded all the necessarily files to do so. But I could not get it to work, so I had to update it manually.

Here is a guide to do so.

Step one.
Go to this site: 06/Jan - Installing the patched recovery image on your device - Android @ MoDaCo
Connect your phone to your computer with USB, follow the instructions on the link above to install the patched recovery image on your device.

Step two.
Power off your device -> Press Home Key to go to recovery mode -> Backup -> Do a nandroid backup, wait until its finish -> Go back and press reboot, let the phone reboot to the home screen.

Step three.
Plug in USB cable -> Mount SD card -> Copy nandroid folder to a safe place on your computer + recovery img (you can copy everything from your SD card to your computer if you want to be sure)

Step four.
Keep your SD card mounted -> Go to this site: 22/Jan - Stock ROMs + radios in update.zip format for GSM Hero - Android @ MoDaCo and download the newest update for T-mobile (atm: 2.73.110.26) -> Copy the zip file to your SD card (root) -> Unplug the USB cable -> turn off your device.

Step five.
Press Home Key to go to recovery mode -> Do a Wipe/Factory reset (this should not erase your SD card but all your settings and sms will disappear) -> Choose Apply: any zip -> Choose the zip file that contains your Rom that you downloaded earlier -> Let if finish until it says that you can reboot. -> Reboot

Now it's all done, the first reboot after you updated your Rom might take a while.

I think that's all. Feel free to fill in with your information.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones