1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to update rooted s3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bluebutter, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Bluebutter

Bluebutter Newbie

I have a rooted UK Samsung s3 on T Mobile, can someone please tell me where I can go to download the latest Android update for my phone as I am totally new at this? I am currently on 4.1.2 I9300BVEMF1. Many thanks in advance.

2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Heres a guide to flashing it mate. Find the update firmware on sammobile.com/firmware
    When you flash it youll lose root. Is root important to you? Rooting 4.3 trips a fuse that voids your warranty.
    You thought about a custom rom instead mate?

3. Bluebutter

Bluebutter Newbie

Thank you for the response. Can you send me a link to a firmware that is suitable for my phone please?

I tried cyanogenmod 10.2 but preferred Touchwiz. I came across something called jkay, is their something similar to that where I can edit the notification bar/status bar etc on 4.3?

4. funkylogik

Oops i forgot the link lol :) http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1671969
    Theres Xposed Framework which is great. Its designed for stock android so most of its modules wont work with TW but i think theres a few that do.
    Make sure theres a way to root 4.3 on your model before updating mate. Id hate for you to update and really regret it.
    Most rooters wont touch that update with a bargepole lol :)
    EDIT i think the guide i gave might be out of date. Hopefully someone can confirm(?)

5. Bluebutter

Bluebutter Newbie

Is there a way I can update the same way I installed cyanogenmod 10.2 (clock work mod recovery)?

I want my Touchwiz notification bar to look like the one found on cyanogenmod 10.2, does xposed framework have a module for this & if so what is it called?

6. funkylogik

Yeah if you find a .zip version of the official firmware you can flash it in recovery mate.
    the only xposed module i know definately works with TW is Wanam but i havent used TW in a long time so i dont know its capabilities. Remember flashing official firmware will remove root and ClockworkMod.
    If it was me, and i wanted touchwiz 4.3 but wanted to stay rooted, id look for a TW based custom rom without the new bootloader (if one exists yet). I cant emphasize enough how much people should think twice about the official update if theyre into rooting lol :)

7. Bluebutter

Bluebutter Newbie

Thank you again for the swift response. Are there any well known TW ROMS?

The reason I didn't like cyanogenmod 10.2 was because I missed the Touchwiz dialer & sms message system, is there a way I could add these to CM?

8. funkylogik

Nah mate. All the samsung features are proprietary and cant be used in a non TW rom which is a shame because i liked Multiview and the TW camera is the best on the s3 by far imo.
    Check out the "international s3 all things root" sub-forum for roms mate.
    Theres a thread for Neat Rom by a very good dev but i dont know if he's built a 4.3 version yet.
    Id start a thread in there titled "4.3 touchwiz based rom?" Or something :thumbup:

Bluebutter likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews