1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How to update without Windows?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jrawle, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jrawle

jrawle Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    I am currently running 2.1update1 (with which the phone was shipped) and want to install the new update it says is available. I understood this phone can be updated over wifi, with no need for a PC, but now it says I must use a computer.

The trouble is, I use Linux. I don't have a Windows PC. The closest thing is a copy of XP SP2 running inside VMWare. However, while PC Companion will connect to the phone for file management, etc. it won't connect after I have gone through the power off - hold down back key procedure. SEUS does not work either. I suspect this is because the phone will only connect once in these circumstances, and that has to be the SE software, but Linux must connect first before passing the device on to VMWare. I've tried blacklisting USB storage on the Linux side, but it still doens't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have to say, I'm quite annoyed as I did think I'd be able to receive updates without having to use any sort of PC.

Is there any other way to get official updates onto the phone (even if this involves rooting or some other hacking)?

Advertisement

2. van_Zeller

van_Zeller Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    I use Linux as well. I had the same trouble as you, but I didn't even bother to try VMs ase these are notoriously picky with usb connections.

Finally I borrowed a friend's computer. The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes and that includes installing and removing the SE software. The actual update takes 1 min.

In a perfect world SE would support Linux. Alas, the world is not perfect. Deal with it.

3. reddish

reddish Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    My wife bought an experia x10 mini pro to replace her previous mobile. So far it has been extremely dissapointing to have to use a windows pc to do an update. We don't have a pc with windows to do this as all our computers run linux. At least Sonyericsson should put a warning message somewhere about this issue as it is certainly a deal-braker for me and this is the first and last phone we bought from this brand. I have a Motorola Droid with Android and it does the update downloading the data without the ludicrous need to connect to a computer.