1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How to upgrade a rooted Milestone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdl, Apr 4, 2011.

1. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010
    I have an unrooted Milestone and am considering getting an unlocked Milestone 2 in the UK (mainly for the larger memory: even with Froyo not all apps can be moved to an SD card) and rooting it.
    I understand a number of users managed to root the Milestone 2 with Z4Root.

My question is: once I root it, how do I upgrade the Android os to future versions? :thinking:

I understand OTA updates won't work, but will I still have the option to download the update from Motorola's website? After all, the 2.2 update for Milestone 1 was never released OTA.

Some people sugget that, when a new Android version comes along, users of a rooted phone should just load a custom rom with that version, but I'm under the impression this is not possible with the Milestone (1 nor 2), or is it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    There is no update expected at this time, but to get rid of root you can flash a stock SBF and then update will go through.

What update are you waiting for? Motorola never promised any updates.

3. cdl

cdl Android Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010
    But if I flash a stock sbf I will erase all my data, apps, settings, etc, right?

Some people seem to think that I freeze (with Titanium backup or a similar app) Motoblur and the other bloatware I should still be able to receive OTA updates, but I found contradicting opinions on this. i guess I'll just have to try myself...

Trying to think ahead, in case the Mielstone 2 will ever be updated to Android 3 (which I appreciate is not granted), but also in case minor bugs are fixed in future releases; the latter would be more about fixing Milestone-specific glitches than obtaining a new version of Android.

Thanks!

4. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Don't think too much in advance. If you only used TiB to freeze apps, it will take 5 minutes to unfreeze them when an update comes.