• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to upgrade a rooted Milestone?

cdl

Android Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2010
I have an unrooted Milestone and am considering getting an unlocked Milestone 2 in the UK (mainly for the larger memory: even with Froyo not all apps can be moved to an SD card) and rooting it.
I understand a number of users managed to root the Milestone 2 with Z4Root.

My question is: once I root it, how do I upgrade the Android os to future versions? :thinking:

I understand OTA updates won't work, but will I still have the option to download the update from Motorola's website? After all, the 2.2 update for Milestone 1 was never released OTA.

Some people sugget that, when a new Android version comes along, users of a rooted phone should just load a custom rom with that version, but I'm under the impression this is not possible with the Milestone (1 nor 2), or is it?

Thanks!

I have an unrooted Milestone and am considering getting an unlocked Milestone 2 in the UK (mainly for the larger memory: even with Froyo not all apps can be moved to an SD card) and rooting it.
I understand a number of users managed to root the Milestone 2 with Z4Root.

My question is: once I root it, how do I upgrade the Android os to future versions? :thinking:

I understand OTA updates won't work, but will I still have the option to download the update from Motorola's website? After all, the 2.2 update for Milestone 1 was never released OTA.

Some people sugget that, when a new Android version comes along, users of a rooted phone should just load a custom rom with that version, but I'm under the impression this is not possible with the Milestone (1 nor 2), or is it?

Thanks!

There is no update expected at this time, but to get rid of root you can flash a stock SBF and then update will go through.

What update are you waiting for? Motorola never promised any updates.

Upvote 0
There is no update expected at this time, but to get rid of root you can flash a stock SBF and then update will go through.

But if I flash a stock sbf I will erase all my data, apps, settings, etc, right?

Some people seem to think that I freeze (with Titanium backup or a similar app) Motoblur and the other bloatware I should still be able to receive OTA updates, but I found contradicting opinions on this. i guess I'll just have to try myself...

What update are you waiting for? Motorola never promised any updates.

Trying to think ahead, in case the Mielstone 2 will ever be updated to Android 3 (which I appreciate is not granted), but also in case minor bugs are fixed in future releases; the latter would be more about fixing Milestone-specific glitches than obtaining a new version of Android.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones