• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1?

Hi there,

Unfortunately, Samsung New PC Studio (NPS) does not like the galaxy portal. Even if you can get your phone recognised, you will not be able to manage it, you will only be able to mount your phones SD card so you can transfer files to and from your phone, through your PC.

If you would like to upgrade from 1.5(cupcake) to 2.1(Eclair) then there are numerous posts on how to do this, you might find these topics helpful.

-Backup guide http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-portal/98085-backup-my-portal.html

-Beerkan's Flashing & Rooting guide http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-spica/124299-root-me-baby-one-more-time.html

To get an idea of how much more help we can be, it would be usefull to know;
A) Your phone carrier (3, T-Mobile, Vodaphone, O2 Etc ...)
B) Roughly how computer savvy you are (So we know if we have to do an idiots guide or if you understand the techy terms :p)

Cheers
XP

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi,
I'm new here so please be gentle ;)
I too have been trying to update from 1.5 to 2.1. but so far have had no success.
I've tried the official way through NPS only be told that "No upgrade is necessary", and I also tried through Kies which of course doesn't support my device.
I've also been on the T-Mobile official site (I'm with T-mob) but it just directs you back to Samsung.
I've tried going through the rooting guide as mentioned further up this thread, but it tells me to "check image files".
It might be the I570EXXJH6.tar file I am having trouble with as I could only find that file name as a zip file, if I extract further there is no mention of it in the extracted files. Is that right or wrong?
Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones