• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to use all of 670MB free RAM

A portion of the 1gig of ram is reserved for system critical processes that's why you see only 670 mb. Then the others apps on your phone use what they need from that. So when any app is running it uses a portion of the available ram as needed. There is a task manager on the phone that you can look at to see what I mean.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
A portion of the 1gig of ram is reserved for system critical processes that's why you see only 670 mb. Then the others apps on your phone use what they need from that. So when any app is running it uses a portion of the available ram as needed. There is a task manager on the phone that you can look at to see what I mean.

^This.

Like your pc, your phone has a multitasking operating system.

Like your pc, that's going to use ram.

Like your pc, some system apps and services need to run, that's going to use ram.

What's left - quite a bit compared to the size of an app - is available to run your apps.

Just like a pc.

Upvote 0

I know what you're talking about lol I'm not new to any of this but d my apps really use thst much RAM? I reset my phone and i get atleast 430MB free and i have no background data apps syncing. It's weird i guess it has to do with apps that use data even if syncing is off.

Upvote 0
How does background data syncing tie to ram usage?

Because that causes the apps to be used in the background? Im not sure if that was a serious question lol
This is probably why i see twitter, facebook, and other social apps along with just regular apps that request background permissions being used at the beginning.

Upvote 0
It was a very serious question.

More than data-syncing apps launch at startup and run in the background.

And background data syncing is performed by more services than apps.

It's really not clear if you're trying to free more ram - seems like it from "how do I get all 670" - or the opposite, from your first post and title.

What are you trying to accomplish?

PS - yes. Social apps want to run all of the time.

Upvote 0
It was a very serious question.

More than data-syncing apps launch at startup and run in the background.

And background data syncing is performed by more services than apps.

It's really not clear if you're trying to free more ram - seems like it from "how do I get all 670" - or the opposite, from your first post and title.

What are you trying to accomplish?

PS - yes. Social apps want to run all of the time.

The app SIM toolkit uses 15MB on its own and the stock laucher uses 30MB on its own also. Plus the contacts storage and keyboard(varies) and i have Avast installed with Anti theft so that's always using RAM. Smspush uses 4MB on its own also. So far the only apps that use the RAM are system apps.

What I'm trying to accomplish is how to actually reach the 670MB mark or atleast 500+MB mark at start up and consistently throughout my phone-on state. My LG connect has about 648+MB free RAM all the time and i have the same type of apps installed and idk how it does it. I guess it's because i have the 4G off on it, but idk how to turn off 4G on this phone without airplane mode.

Upvote 0
You can't get to maximum ram without things being automatically shut down or cached by Android.

There are 6 different running app categories, each with a marker that says, if free ram gets below this mark then start caching or shutting down apps and services in this category.

The closer you get to maximum ram usage, the slower your phone will likely perform, while Android steps in and does memory management.

No Android phone ever starts up with all of its ram free. If you had a phone where you thought so, there was something wrong with the ram reports.

Neither can you configure one to have little or no ram left at startup.

This isn't a device with a swap system. Apps are running in memory or they're not.

Good luck in your quest to use more memory at startup. Still not sure why you want that, but that's your business.

PS - 4G has nothing to do with it.

And a lot of task managers simply lie about how much ram is in use and by what.

Upvote 0
You can't get to maximum ram without things being automatically shut down or cached by Android.

There are 6 different running app categories, each with a marker that says, if free ram gets below this mark then start caching or shutting down apps and services in this category.

The closer you get to maximum ram usage, the slower your phone will likely perform, while Android steps in and does memory management.

No Android phone ever starts up with all of its ram free. If you had a phone where you thought so, there was something wrong with the ram reports.

Neither can you configure one to have little or no ram left at startup.

This isn't a device with a swap system. Apps are running in memory or they're not.

Good luck in your quest to use more memory at startup. Still not sure why you want that, but that's your business.

PS - 4G has nothing to do with it.

And a lot of task managers simply lie about how much ram is in use and by what.

Yeah well I think background data has alot to do with this. My LG connect has almost all of its free RAM but it has no internet connection but i will see what i can do about this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones