• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to use data only in a foreign country?

D

Deleted User

On the DX2...looking for a way to just use wifi, no cellular data or phone calls...in a foreign country, especially Italy. Want to be able to use internet, email, google voice text, nothing else. For phone calls, I will be using a local loan phone for local calls only. Thanks, suggestions appreciated.

On the DX2...looking for a way to just use wifi, no cellular data or phone calls...in a foreign country, especially Italy. Want to be able to use internet, email, google voice text, nothing else. For phone calls, I will be using a local loan phone for local calls only. Thanks, suggestions appreciated.

I was in England last week and used my Incredible when in free wifi areas. If you will be in a metro area, Italy has free zones as well. With an Android device, probably for the better not having the radio work, since many horror stories about phone bills.

BTW, Germany has CDMA like VZW uses, but most countries use GSM.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
One thing I did notcie though that when updating apps using the market, a few apps had issues updating. It was seemed like the market was confused with some apps and the region I was at (since not US).

The issues cleared up though when I got back and updated apps again. It seemed to only be an issue for a few apps to update while there, so not a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones