• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to use less data when watching youtube videos?

DavidNCali

Sep 27, 2014
Hello I'm new here.. I got my first official smartphone.. The sony xperia z, and I love it.. I know there are newer models, but I will upgrade when I have the money.. I realized smartphones nowadays that are running 4glte uses quite a bit of data. I have a limited of 5gb of high speed data and anything over will throttle. When I'm out and about I like to go to the park, chill and watch a couple of YouTube videos. Before I had a phone that was running 3g, and it barely take any data. Now when I stream videos even just 1 minute of video, it will take approximately 10 to 15mb of data.. I tried going into setting and change my 480p to 360p then to 240p and then to 144p... Still my phone that is running 4glte will use approximately 10 to 15mb when viewing a 1 minute video. I was actually running a 10 minute video today, and it nearly took 150mb of data. I was surprised/shocked because this never happened on my old phone. You can say I'm a pretty heavy user when it comes to browsing and viewing youtube video, but I know my limits.. However, my old phone only had 2.5gb of high speed data, and I never use it all... I'm not planning to upgrade my data because it's expensive, and I'm usually on wifi. Any tricks to lower the data when viewing youtube videos on 4glte? My friend who has an ipad running 4g only use 20mb of data when viewing a 10minute video on safari and unchecking HQ..

Reactions: Prashantkumar
Also, google chrome seems to take alot of data too. I've already used 200mb of data just browsing in chrome. In a total of 4 days, I've used nearly 600mb so far. The park is my kicking spot, and I like to chill, browse and stream videos. But I think with 5gb of data it will not get me very far. I really like T-mobile high speed 4g lte.. It's pretty blazing fast.

Upvote 0
Also, google chrome seems to take alot of data too. I've already used 200mb of data just browsing in chrome. In a total of 4 days, I've used nearly 600mb so far. The park is my kicking spot, and I like to chill, browse and stream videos. But I think with 5gb of data it will not get me very far. I really like T-mobile high speed 4g lte.. It's pretty blazing fast.

My technique for staying under the limit is to only sync photos to Facebook and Google plus when on WiFi. Also set Facebook to only automatically download videos on wifi. This alone has kept me under my T-Mobile account limit.

Chrome has a compression option, but it seems big brotherly. I'm not sure if it's linked to your Google account.

There's the opera app and also onavo count, you can only use one of three types of apps, and I'm not sure which one compresses better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones