1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How to use Maps offline for India

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by buntymurarka, Jan 13, 2012.

1. buntymurarka

buntymurarka Lurker
    None

Jan 10, 2012
    I have Samsung Galaxy Fit and there is Google Maps option in it....for using that feature i have to use gprs or wifi......i want to know can i use that feature offline with GPS in india?

Advertisement

2. cerberusss

cerberusss Member
    None

Sep 9, 2011
    Your question does not say whether you need navigation (i.e. directions on a map), or just have a map which displays your current position.

For navigation, Google Maps has a "lab" option for offline usage. Basically, you can use WiFi to get the route, then the Maps app will download all maps along the route so you don't need a 3G connection. All in all, it's very limited.

If you want to have an offline map which shows your current position, there are a bunch of good apps for this. I have experience with Locus when I went on holiday in Prague:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=menion.android.locus

Locus can download a map for offline usage. It will take a loooong time (for a city the size of Prague, think 18 hours or so).

It's faster to download them in advance on your PC. What I did, was download an offline map with Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC), available at Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC)
    Then I'd copy the map to my phone and imported it into Locus. Here is a real good write-up on how to do it:
    • View topic - [MANUAL] - creating maps on desktop computer (9.12.2010)

One thing to note, is that when you do not have a data connection available, your GPS will take a long time to "lock". That's because without data connection, you only use GPS, not A-GPS (Assisted GPS). Locking would take several minutes. I used the GPS Test app to see the progress, it's a good app for this purpose. Try it at home first.