1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support How to use Skype or Vonage??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cybercruiser, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cybercruiser

cybercruiser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Computer Geek
    Ohio
    Is there any app to make and receive calls using the unlimited data, instead of using minutes, such as Skype, or Vonage(both aren't completely Free) :-(

Would be nice to cancel my 450 minute plan if I had some alternative that purely uses data??

Advertisement

2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA
    You might try SipDroid ...

3. icanhaszombie

icanhaszombie New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Sign up for Google Talk, it was limited to invites when I signed up but I got an invite in a week. Call quality is indistinguishable from a normal call.

4. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I just installed Sipdroid (in the Market) and have it working with my Vonage "Softphone" account. I just need to get it working with my line that's servicing my house. Softphone has unlimited incoming but only 500 outgoing minues. Its working via WiFi and 3G, but calls to some cell phones not working. I can call my AT&T cell phone, but not my girl's, who is on the same plan. :thinking:

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Google Talk, as in the IM client that does calls, or did you mean Google Voice?

6. bthoward

bthoward Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    He meant Google Voice but that app uses calls to go through voice so it doesn't help. Actually if you don't have Google voice number programmed as as a friends and family number (or some way to make it free) then calling other cell phones on the VZW network via google voice will end up using minutes where as simply calling them direct wouldn't use your minutes.